Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting work to pay for further education

Options
  • 18-11-2011 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everyone, I have a simple question. I want to try and get some further education, additional to a BSc. that i graduated from in 2008. I have been one of the lucky few that have been riding out this recession without being hit too hard. I got a job after my final exams and am working in my field since.

The problem is, which I need advice or suggestions for, is that I want work to pay for further education, i.e. a MSc. that would be directly related to work. I wouldn't mind a PhD, but that would be a long time commitment. At the moment a MSc. is the best option I have, minimal time off work, and all that comes with that.

But I would hopefully get work to pay for it, or if not, other help in lieu of it. HR have told me to make a concrete proposal, which is no problem..... in theory.

How would I structure a proposal to maximise my chances??

any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. THanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Here is how it works in our company for career development education:

Submit Education support request with study plan and course details.

(1) Company pays for course up-front.
    (2) Company deducts 1/2 of course module fee from wages over period of course module.
    (3) Company pays student back 1/2 of course fee that was deducted from wages on passing course module.

Present company with evidence of awarding of Qualification.

Pass Course: Company pays 100%
    Fail Course: Company pays 50%
    Abandon Course: Company pays 0%

If company pays for Degree/Msc/PhD you cannot leave company for 2 years after course completion or you have to pay back course fees to company.

Advertisement