Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage or remortgage?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

We own a house which we are currently renovating and have gone over budget and funds are getting tighter. We have no mortgage and are wondering about the possibilty of borrowing against it. Would this be a mortgage or a remortgage? We are only talking about between €10,000 and €12,000 as ideally we want to be debt free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The min amount for a mortgage is a lot more than 12k.

Some banks will at least need you to borrow 35-40k for it to be a mortgage.

However, some banks will do a home improvement loans for that amount up to a 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

It would be considered as a mortgage as you are not paying off an exisiting lending company. You can get around the banks minimum lending requirement by borrowing whatever amount that is e.g. borrow €40k on a variable rate & oay off €32k the following day! This will ennsure you get access to the very cheapest homeloan rates available and aren't paying personal loan or home improvement rates..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

OP you may be better off getting a personal loan for the amount you need.

The mortgage rates are cheaper but legal fees/valuations would make it more expensive for this balance.

killers1 wrote: »
    It would be considered as a mortgage as you are not paying off an exisiting lending company. You can get around the banks minimum lending requirement by borrowing whatever amount that is e.g. borrow €40k on a variable rate & oay off €32k the following day! This will ennsure you get access to the very cheapest homeloan rates available and aren't paying personal loan or home improvement rates..

Yeah, as soon as you try that you'll get charged the interest they would have made. This is built into most if not all offer letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yeah, as soon as you try that you'll get charged the interest they would have made. This is built into most if not all offer letters.

Havent seen it built in to most.

Under the Consumer Credit Act there can be no penalties for overpayment or early repayment on a variable rate product. However they can penalise under fixed rate products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

It's illegal for a bank to charge a penalty to pay off a variable rate loan early

Ops my bad.

No it's not, however I checked today before retracting my statement and there is a clause in newly issued mortgages covering off such loop holes. Doubt it's common however it does exsist.

As chris85 said, not exactly the wisest thing due to legal charges and as I stated, the op's amount is to low.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thanks for the advice now i won't look a complete numpty tomorrow, we have an appointment with the bank tomorrow so we'll see what they say.

Advertisement