Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I call company?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I recently applied for a job via an agency - it's a job I would adore. The agent rang me nearly straightaway saying I would be suitable and I had what they were looking for etc and would pass on my CV. That was a week ago. I emailed the agent yesterday saying was the job still open and since I had not heard from the company should I presume I had not been shortlisted - he is obvioulsy incompetent as he just mailed backsaying to send him my cv and the job is still open - he obviously barely read my email and must not have remembered who I was and that I was already talking to him that week. Ive not heard from him since. So now Im wondering if he even sent on my cv :( My question is - he told me the name of the company, my friend used to work there - would it be wrong of me to send a direct email to the company with my cv again - is that frowned upon if the agent has already sent on my CV - there are 3 positions.... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    I recently applied for a job via an agency - it's a job I would adore. The agent rang me nearly straightaway saying I would be suitable and I had what they were looking for etc and would pass on my CV. That was a week ago. I emailed the agent yesterday saying was the job still open and since I had not heard from the company should I presume I had not been shortlisted - he is obvioulsy incompetent as he just mailed backsaying to send him my cv and the job is still open - he obviously barely read my email and must not have remembered who I was and that I was already talking to him that week. Ive not heard from him since. So now Im wondering if he even sent on my cv :( My question is - he told me the name of the company, my friend used to work there - would it be wrong of me to send a direct email to the company with my cv again - is that frowned upon if the agent has already sent on my CV - there are 3 positions.... Thanks

It won't hurt by trying. If he was incompetent which a lot of people are then you're better off contacting them urself. In the current jobs climate you have to do everything you can to secure employment. So by all means contact them directly, some companies like the enthusiasm.

You havn't got anything to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

manlad wrote: »
    It won't hurt by trying. If he was incompetent which a lot of people are then you're better off contacting them urself. In the current jobs climate you have to do everything you can to secure employment. So by all means contact them directly, some companies like the enthusiasm.

You havn't got anything to lose.

great - il do that - should i mention that the agent has already sent my cv and I was wondering if they received it or will i just pretend Im asking if they have any positions and keep me in mind? It might be better to mention the agent if he has sent it i guess... lastly should I mention that my friend worked there and she learned alot and gave me very good feedback about the company.... thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    great - il do that - should i mention that the agent has already sent my cv and I was wondering if they received it or will i just pretend Im asking if they have any positions and keep me in mind? It might be better to mention the agent if he has sent it i guess... lastly should I mention that my friend worked there and she learned alot and gave me very good feedback about the company.... thanks again

there's nothing wrong with sending in a cv twice. You could apply for the same job a couple of months down the line i.e. another cv. You're better to be eager and persistent rather than waiting on an agency to get back to you. The guy in the agency isn't going to be sitting at home worrying why they aren't getting back. He's probably looking after a hundred other people. Yes you could mention your friend as long as you know she worked well for them ;)

Sometimes you just have to be that extra bit forward. Good luck and hopefully you hear something back.

Advertisement