Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount for camera on bike?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a mount that i can put a camera onto the handlebars with the standard 1/4 inch screw you get on most cameras.

All of the ones i can find on amazon have gotten terrible reviews, people saying their camera fell off the mount.

Does anyone mount a camera, What do you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I don't have any specific suggestions, but have you considered getting some kind of chest harness thingie like the ones they make for the GoPro cams? Or fixing it to your helmet? If you attach it to the bars you're going to get a helluva lot of vibration...

What kind of camera are you talking about? (i.e. how big/heavy, how streamlined?) Wind drag is a problem here too; another reason to attach it to yourself rather than the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I use gopro with chestmount. Its got excellent waterproofing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The camera I'm using is a Kodak playtouch.

I've DIY'ed a stand with some velcro and rubber which will fix it to the speedo display. Gona try it out tomorrow. I've got a security strap that ill fix to the bike just in case the stand fails (it probably will!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Have to agree with the lads there, a bike mounted camera would be very shaky ! A helmet mounted POV camera would be the best job ! Just google motorbike POV cameras! Some aren't cheap and some are ! :)

Did a test run today on my DIY mount. As expected it was very shaky but i think this was down to my shoddy mount making skills.

I do however think by making it a bit more sturdy it would improve a lot. Back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Did a test run today on my DIY mount. As expected it was very shaky but i think this was down to my shoddy mount making skills.

I do however think by making it a bit more sturdy it would improve a lot. Back to the drawing board.

You're probably picking up the vibrations from the bike. Any way of mounting it on your body or helmet? I had the same issue with the go pro so ended up using a chest mount

Managed to improve the mount. Now just need to use my external Mic and place it behind the visor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Attempt 2 - Far from perfect but free. lol. Had some old velcro lying around so just stuck it to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Might be worth considering one of these key fob cameras

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/2/18/finally-a-real-hd-mini-keyring-spy-camera-11-808.html?currentPage=3#comments

Main advantage is that they are incredibly small and light, so velcro attachment to a helmet is a doddle. Also quite cheap, so not a disaster if you lose one.

• Advertisement

Might be worth considering one of these key fob cameras

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/2/18/finally-a-real-hd-mini-keyring-spy-camera-11-808.html?currentPage=3#comments

Main advantage is that they are incredibly small and light, so velcro attachment to a helmet is a doddle. Also quite cheap, so not a disaster if you lose one.

Looks good. Ill look into getting one of those if my current camera breaks.

I rigged up a helmet mount. Here is a short clip of me bitching about people not indicating. lol.

Advertisement