Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another unrealistic IT Role?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

It is a joke. I've done similar jobs myself in the past for even less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Job description isn't bad but its a bit much for one person should be shared with a second person in command at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It doesn't look too bad - the money doesn't seem too bad for that role.

If they're happy with their current site, their expectations aren't that high either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Be grateful they're not trying to run this as a Job Bridge internship !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yep middle managers writing requirements, usual bullsh1t, worst thing would be if you didn't have a BA as a buffer between the business and sanity, although the standard of BAs is very hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Eoin wrote: »
    It doesn't look too bad - the money doesn't seem too bad for that role.

If they're happy with their current site, their expectations aren't that high either.

I think the helpdesk part is what is the kick in the groin. Hello, we would like a semi skilled in everything person who still doesn't mind taking **** when Susy downstairs wants somebody to fix her toaster and won't take no for a answer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

I've seen a lot worse, I think a lot of people out there could fill this role, at least the "required", maybe not all of the "desirable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

why would it be an unreliastic job ? its basically a jack of all trades, great experience and the money isnt bad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It seems like they are looking for a one-man IT-department for a max of 43K.

Rubbish, there's the bit about liaising with the technical support people, there must be others.

Doesn't look unreasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JustMary wrote: »
    Rubbish, there's the bit about liaising with the technical support people, there must be others.
    I don't think there are any others.

The technical support people are obviously working for external vendors.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look unreasonable to me.

I think you misread the job spec as DublinWriter pointed out. IT support and web development are completely different career specialties and are not normally done by the same person, except in a few mickey mouse companies who are either too stingy or broke to afford to hire 2 separate people. It's same way you wouldn't expect someone who works in HR to do the company accounts and man the reception desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it's the web design aspect rather than the web development one that stands out more. Back when I was doing tech support, I did a lot of work on our company intranet and website as I had an interest in web development. Graphic design though tends to be quite a different mindset.

This might be a case of using an existing CMS platform to do a lot of the web development, which any capable IT support professional should be able to pick up.

It could be a company looking for someone to fix the toaster, run the website and sort the mail while fixing everyones 10 year old PCs, or it could be a genuinely interesting role with lots of varied responsibilities.

I would have thought that 43K was pretty OK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I don't think it's unrealistic; but if you do, I'd recommend you don't bother applying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That role would be better paid in America where they rate IT experts higher than unionised public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think you misread the job spec as DublinWriter pointed out. IT support and web development are completely different career specialties and are not normally done by the same person, except in a few mickey mouse companies who are either too stingy or broke to afford to hire 2 separate people. It's same way you wouldn't expect someone who works in HR to do the company accounts and man the reception desk.

In a very small company, having one person doing payroll, accounts and reception is quite normal.

In smallish companies, IT support and web-maintenance would often be done by the same folks: the web is really just another (customer facing) database.

Also, it doesn't really matter who the technical support people work for: the appointee needs to work with them.

In a very small company, having one person doing payroll, accounts and reception is quite normal.
    Small dysfunctional companies that no one wants to work for unless they are desperate. These people obviously haven't noticed that good IT people are difficult to source in the current labour market.
    In smallish companies, IT support and web-maintenance would often be done by the same folks: the web is really just another (customer facing) database.
    This particular company is looking for a lot more than just that. What they want is someone with graphic design and web design skills. Most people who work in IT support know little about either of those to begin with, and any web developer with an ounce of self respect is never going to want to spend half his day fixing peoples PC's.

Advertisement