Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explaining ACA exam failure in interviews

Options
  • 18-11-2011 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Bringing this in from the Accountancy forum as got no replies. Hopefully it might do better here :)

Hey guys,

Can't seem to find a thread on this and would like your input. I recently failed CAP 1 management accounting and consequently had to leave the firm I was with. I was employed by one of the big 4.

I am not looking to pursue accounting. I'd just like to get some opinions on how I should broach the topic of why I left the firm when it is asked in interviews. The firms I'm looking to apply to are large corporations with graduate programes so I anticipate the recruitment process to be stringent. Any ideas on this? Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Dont worry about it. Most employers dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tell the truth, but try to make it look like it's in line with your revised-before-the-exam career goals. Try not to mention the word "fail" if possible.

eg:

"I'd been thinking for a while that I didn't really want a career in accountancy, because INSERT A POSITIVE SOUNDING REASON HERE EG THERE'S NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE CONTACT. Things came to a head with the XXX exam, and at that point I decided to leave YYYY and do WWW instead."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

I know a lot of people who were in your boat. All have moved on and are much much happier where they are now.

Dont stress out and maybe fire off your cv to recruitment agencies, the grad programmes can take a long time to get up and running. Keep busy in the mean time.

Advertisement