Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I find out why I wasn't shortlisted?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi, I applied for a job I was very interested in about a month ago. The closing date was "Until position is filled". No response yet from them and the job is still being advertised. I sent a follow-up email maybe ten days after applying. No reply. No reply to initial application either.

Ordinarily, I don't get too upset about never hearing about a job again or not getting shortlisted. There's a lot of competition out there right now. But I had the required essential skills and the biggie from the 'desirable but not essential' section.

The job is still being advertised, so I just had to know what the story was, was it filled or what. So called today with my number withheld, asking was the position still available to apply for, they breezily said "Oh yes, send in your CV". I wouldn't have thought that was the best news for me, TBH. Should I bother inquiring as to why they weren't interested?

NOTE: This was a job in a university, in an academic setting. It wasn't through a recruitment agency and the CV was to be sent to the general contact e-mail of the research group in question. But in the ad, it says
    "Please note that applications for this position will be received and managed by the hiring department. " Just included this info in case it's helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sometimes it can take more than a month for them to get back to people. I have known some places not to get back to me till after 2 months. Give it a bit more time. If there are a lot of applications they take longer to whittle down.

If you haven't heard from them within the next week get in contact with them to see what the story is.

Ya it often happens they don't always reply to acknowledge applications or to reply to follow up emails. If its been filled already they will get back to you at least.

Ya I applied to something similar in a Uni, during the summer. Never heard back from them not so much as an acknowledgement and never even so much as got an email or a letter to state I were unsuccessful any other uni I applied to they all got back to me some way or another.

How come it can take so long? You'd think with a "until position filled" type post, they'd shortlist once they'd seen several applications they liked the look of. Which makes me think this doesn't bode well for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

'Until position filled' suggests they're not working to a schedule with a fixed start date and so they can afford to be laid-back and perhaps more selective than jobs where a successful candidate needs to be in place by a specific point in time.

You don't know that you haven't made the shortlist, you just know they're still accepting applications right?

pow wow wrote: »
    You don't know that you haven't made the shortlist, you just know they're still accepting applications right?

Yes, I just find the lack of response to query emails disconcerting.

Plus, I'm a bit frazzled from job-hunting and rejections so I think that's getting to me. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement