Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best sports movies on Blu-Ray

Options
  • 18-11-2011 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

With Senna having been released on Blu-Ray last month, and TT3D to follow this month, I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions for sporting movies to buy on the format?

I have the "Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait" but was a bit disappointed by it to be honest. I know that I got exactly what was described, but it just felt like a boring match and I was a bit sick of looking at him by half-time (like many of the defenders he faced, no doubt).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What would you be looking for? There's a Redbull snowboarding video The Art of Flight (a couple of clips can be found on youtube) that came out on Blu-Ray within the last month or two, and there's also a skater/concrete jungle video out recently as well. Forget the name of the skater film :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not looking for anything in particular, any sort of sports documentary would be good. Just looking for something I can throw on the telly on a Friday evening and sit back and enjoy. I have seen TT3D in the cinema, and would recommend it 100% for anyone with an interest in the Isle of Man TT or motorbike racing, or indeed anyone who saw the BBC television series "The Boat That Guy Built", as Guy Martin is the star of both. It scores 8.3 on IMDB, which is a fairly accuracte reflection of the movie I'd say.

I'll check out those youtube clips now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Great sports documentaries
    • Hoop dreams (basketball)
    • Beyond the mat (wrestling)
    • When we were kings (boxing)
    • King of Kong (whether this should be classed as a sports docu is debatable but its a fantastic film regardless)
    • Pumping Iron (bodybuilding)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Great sports documentaries
    • Hoop dreams (basketball)
    • Beyond the mat (wrestling)
    • When we were kings (boxing)
    • King of Kong (whether this should be classed as a sports docu is debatable but its a fantastic film regardless)
    • Pumping Iron (bodybuilding)

Don't think any of them are on Blu Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I'd recommend:

Raging Bull
    Tyson
    The Fighter
    Hoosiers
    Cinderella Man
    Friday Night Lights
    All the Goals - from the 2006 World Cup in Germany
    Baseball: The Tenth Inning - A Film By Ken Burns

61 maybe? Haven't seen it as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Not looking for anything in particular, any sort of sports documentary would be good. Just looking for something I can throw on the telly on a Friday evening and sit back and enjoy. I have seen TT3D in the cinema, and would recommend it 100% for anyone with an interest in the Isle of Man TT or motorbike racing, or indeed anyone who saw the BBC television series "The Boat That Guy Built", as Guy Martin is the star of both. It scores 8.3 on IMDB, which is a fairly accuracte reflection of the movie I'd say.

I'll check out those youtube clips now, thanks.

Just watched. Excellent production and didn't fall into any cliched 'motorbike' movie traps. On a par with ESPNs 3O for 3O series. Was just thinking how the events of TT 2O1O added to the drama and was quite emotional in parts. Having lived on the Island for 7 years, this is as close as it gets to sampling what TT is all about. 9/1O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Wait until ESPN's excellent 30 for 30 series goes on general release on bluray. At the moment it seems to be only available from Best Buy in the USA but I presume it will come out everywhere soon enough.

They are all brilliant documentaries. More info here if you are not aware of the series. If you have ESPN, they tend to show them a lot on ESPN America and ESPN Classics.

Well it's out on blu-ray but it's region locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Renn wrote: »
    Well it's out on blu-ray but it's region locked.

It annoys me when something is region locked with no chance of a Region B release :mad:

I picked up a Region A player to combat that but actually haven't used it yet (was looking to sell it in fact!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement