Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Salary expectations'

Options
  • 17-11-2011 4:59pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on how to deal with this / what sort of answer to give?

I've been contracting with a company for the guts of a year now, they want to make me permanent and have asked me to think about my salary expectations.

I've had a look at the salary guidelines on brightwater and finfacts.com and they're radically different. It's hard to know what to suggest. I don't want to come out with something ridiculous but I don't want to get shafted either.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Always a tough one to answer. Are your contract rates indicative of what to expect as a permanent employee there?

Do they have any other benefits like pension, sick leave, bonus, health care etc? It's hard to calculate, but they can add a lot of value to your overall package - even if the take home isn't as high.

I'm always a bit sceptical about salary surveys that only really take into account job title and years experience. I remember looking at them before, and could have picked about 6 job titles that I could have used to fit my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

This is a very hairy topic, but you seem to be in a good position, they have had a year to assess you and they value you enough to make you permanent.

Remember that this is about the whole deal not just the bare figure.

As mentioned think about:
    • Money -$$$$$
    • Health Insurance - $$$$$
    • Pension - $$$$$
    • Perks - Laptop, Phone, Car, Etc.
    • Holidays - Extra days of can be priceless.
    • Working Hours/Flextime - Work-Life Balance.
    • Education Support - Can be worth 5K PA and boosts your next pay rise.

The trick is to get them to make the first offer, letting them know that the whole package is important to you, but that you want the salary to be competitive with the current market. (Most companies will have access to accurate market pay rate surveys based on what is actually paid.) If the salary on offer is low, ask them what they based the offer on, and if they mention market rates ask to see the survey that they based it on.

Ask them to email you the contract under offer and that you will review it in its entirety. Try not to get caught in a manager office under pressure to agree the contract, always thank them for the offer and ask for time to reflect and to consult your partner.

Do a bit of research on negotiation, there are a few basic principles, which if you stick to them will see you alright. Most importantly do not concede on ANY point until the whole deal is agreed.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-negotiate-your-salary

Advertisement