Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hamster toys

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

GOt a hamster last week and brought a hamster ball but was wondering what the best hamster toys are because there doesn't seem to be many in the pet shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The best thing you can get for your hammy is the biggest cage/housing you can get your hands on, hamsters need a lot of space and most shop bought cages are too small. If your hamster has a Habitrail or similar then instead of toys buy extra tubes and connectors etc.

After that they prefer cardboard tubes, and cardboard boxes all different shapes and sizes like empty tea boxes and biscuit boxes etc. Zooplus.ie/uk sell timber hamster houses just make sure the holes are large enough for the hammy to fit through as some of the house holes/windows are smallish.
    There are various hamster balls available like little cars etc. but you can also set up a little playground in the bath (obviously taps well turned off) line the bottom with towels and put in tunnels and hidey places and the hammy can wander about freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Hey BrianB, congrats on your new pal :) Hamsters are brilliant pets! hope you have lots of fun with your little guy. In my opinion the best hamster toy is YOU! how tame is your hamster? can you whistle? with my hamsters I always started off by making the same little whistle noise every time I'm coming to wake them up and give them a treat, very soon they get up yawning and get to know you! Hamsters love exploring too, if you are able to handle your hammie then get him to run from one hand onto the other (try this sitting down first!) they are hilarious, they will breeze along like this for ages then suddenly want to change direction! the other great thing about hamsters is that they will do virtually anything you can think of for food. I trained my guys to run obstacle courses, do a short series of jumps, climb up an armchair and sit at the top, and to pick food from under a bottle cap - the possibilities are endless! in terms of things to keep them active when ur not around then the cardboard tubes inside toilet rolls and kitchen paper are great, if you have a wire cage they love climbing, they will even hang upside down from the roof of the cage! if you but a slice of apple or a strawberry on the roof on the outside they will climb around and nibble it! they love to run on wheels too... what u can also do to keep them busy is put food in a cardboard box and close it so they can smell there is food in there but they have to work out how to open the cardboard, they usually try just gnaw it open which is good for them!
    Have fun and let us know how u get on ;) Em

Advertisement