Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in the rain

Options
  • 17-11-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Do you walk your dogs as much on days like today when it's absolutely chucking it down? Normally I would be just coming back from a 2/3 mile walk but we haven't even been out yet as the rain is so heavy, normally if it's really raining I'll take them to the woods as it's a bit more sheltered there, but of course there's no way to completely avoid getting wet and mucky. A bit of rain doesn't normally stop me but today it's really bucketing down and my little waterproof Dunnes jacket won't stand a chance! The dogs both have waterproof coats but the younger one hates wearing hers and refuses to toilet while she's wearing it, she'll just hold it it!

Any recommendations for human waterproof jackets, also waterproof trousers although husband reckons you just get all sweaty in them!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm waiting on Lidl or Aldi to bring in some, as I desperately need them. In fairness last night I picked up the leads, looked at the dogs and they hopped up on the sofa.
    They'd been in the back garden all day and in no way wanted to go back out. The fire was their preferred option last night. That is unusual, they do love their walks, plus it's great for helping me to trim down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a northface rain coat, tresspass trousers (they make them in a 28" leg and I'm short :pac:) and he has his little coat too :D He's a retriever so loved the water but gets SOAKED so i throw the coat over him and he doesn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

just got back from taking mine little lady out in the wind and the rain - she loves it - she is a collie/lab cross and just wants to walk all the time regardless of weather. Saying that she is now stretched out in front of the fire drying!

rgds

JD

ps look out for cheap Goretex stuff on ebay - got a pair of brand new trousers for the Royal Mail for £10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭RichT

Gortex is the way to go OP. It's not cheap, but is 100% waterproof and allows you to breathe. I've literally just got back from our walk in the pouring rain dressed head to toe in Gortex and am bone dry underneath. The rain doesn't bother the dogs at all. Probably because they know they are going to get a towel dry on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Depends on the Dog really. My dog simply refuses to go out when it's raining except for a very very brief (sub minute) toilet break. Simply has no interest in getting wet and stays in her chair by the rad. You can get cheap raingear in Dunnes if you want, but if going for a serious walk make sure you get breathable waterproofs (gore-tex or similar) or you'll end up being soaked from perspiration anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Do you walk your dogs as much on days like today when it's absolutely chucking it down? Normally I would be just coming back from a 2/3 mile walk but we haven't even been out yet as the rain is so heavy, normally if it's really raining I'll take them to the woods as it's a bit more sheltered there, but of course there's no way to completely avoid getting wet and mucky. A bit of rain doesn't normally stop me but today it's really bucketing down and my little waterproof Dunnes jacket won't stand a chance! The dogs both have waterproof coats but the younger one hates wearing hers and refuses to toilet while she's wearing it, she'll just hold it it!

Any recommendations for human waterproof jackets, also waterproof trousers although husband reckons you just get all sweaty in them!!

Hey, I used to supervise the breeding of the phoenix park deer herd for 4 years, which involved every daylight hour of Sep/Oct each year. I also did a few endurance trips up in the North Pole on sledge dogs!! And I'm a guide dog trainer so know all about sweating and walking dogs!! So here's what I've learnt about outdoor gear...

Your hubs right about sweating. Cheap plastic outdoor gear doesn't breath as its not porous. You need to go to an outdoor store and look for stuff made of Gortex (including boots). This is great stuff, waterproof and tough but breathable, so you don't sweat underneath. No need to treat as it blocks the pores.

Layers keep you warm, not so much the thickness of the layers, so 2 tshirts can be better than a jumper etc. Make sure all your underwear, your socks, jocks and tshirts, are cotton rich, socks need to be totally cotton. Synthetic garments make your skin sweat which will cool you down (rapidly in the wind).

My advice, good cotton socks (don't scrimp, warm feet are the making / breaking of a good walk) in a pair of gortex walking boots (not hiking boots necessarily unless doing tough terrain, quite heavy too, but no need to over spend, ask outdoor store for advice). Recommend Echo shoes (Blanch Centre , but theres a few around, dedicated to walking shoes, runners and boots, incredibly comfortable).

Get yourself some long john thermal thing, maybe leggings whatever suits, made of cotton, for under your outdoor gear, long sleeve tshirts are great, one warm top layer (breathable) and one waterproof / wind breaker made of gortex. And always wear a hat!

Its great being equipped for the weather and walking in it. The dogs don't need the waterproofing, they're naturally equipped for the rain (oils in their outter coat protects from light rain as long as you don't shampoo the dog at any stage, not good to do this, it removes these oils, making the coat more absorbable as well as reducing the ability of the dog to control odour, sweat, all that stuff). Dog clothing is cheap and non breathable, the dogs back will sweat, no need for it. Good run in the rain.

If you want a dog to like his jacket though, only put it on for the first 5 - 10 times while he eats his dinner. For the next 20 times he gets a sausage when it goes on, and it only stays on for 5 seconds, building up to 2mins say after a few weeks. Now you're ready to try leave the house. Now he gets a walk every time it comes on. You are changing the dogs negative association with the jacket to a positive association. Depending how negative he is dictates how long it takes for you to come off the treats etc. And never approach the dog, coming over his head with the jacket. Once you have desensitised him to it for a week or two call him to you. This will increase the willingness, and slide the jacket up his back, from bum to head, and slip it over his nose. Treat in. Don't speak or make a fuss, just slip it on, treat in, out the door. You get what you pay attention to. You can get a dog used to anything, some live in Paris Hiltons handbag, enough said!!

Best of luck, hope this helps.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

That's me off to ebay to look for some Gortex then!!

The dogs don't seem to mind the rain especially the younger one, think I'm just going to have to brave it and have the towels on standby for when we get back!!

Maybe it'll clear up later....(she said optimistically!!)

ETA Thanks Dogsfirst for all those tips! I just got a pair of Hunter Wellies so my feet are sorted, I'm only walking down country lanes so no rough terrains or anything but deffo gonna get decked out in some Gortex!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I'm just back from my regular walk and both me and my Golden Retriever got soaked through. I haven't proper rain gear for myself and it never occured to me to get anything for the dog. The rain doesn't seem to bother him, he ran ahead and sniffed at everything and even chased the red squirrel as he would do on a dry day. He did roll around on his towel when he came home and is now flat out on his blanket.
    What I did like about today though was that there were no other walkers about and I didn't have to worry about him annoying other people or their dogs. So I guess a rainy day isn't always bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

any ex army and navy stores sells good waterproof coats and pants, you can also get good waterproofs at any outdoor/camping store, my dog loves the rain [a celebration of nature]

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

I have Helly Hansen 100% waterproof jacket and trousers - fantastic :)

I'll leave the Cavalier King Charles by the fire but I'll have to walk the Retriever or he'll go nuts! I've done some training indoors with him this morning and he's enjoying the Kong now but he'll have to be walked later.

It's absolutely lashing here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

My Akita gets a walk twice a day no matter the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye +1 to Gortex, some great advice given in the thread already.

Mine won't walk in the rain.
    One hates the rain, similar to someone else you have to literally put her out the back to do her business when it's raining or else she'll just hold it in.
    Younger one LOVES the rain, will happily lie in puddles out the back, want to go out and lick the rain etc. Yet she won't go for a walk in the rain! madness I know.

So even though I have coats for them (younger one HATES coats) they won't go in the rain, no hope despite my efforts. Snow they'll go out in though!

I just try and make sure if we can't get out for our walk that we do some extra play in the house, like chasing/fetching up and down the hall to try and burn off some energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

My girl is a collie/setter cross so not going out on rainy days isn't really an option in this house! :rolleyes:

She'll stay out for hours to play ball and go for a walk but when it comes to backyard potty breaks - she's in and out in record speed :rolleyes::D Go figure!

Last night was no exception to the "lets not go out" rule she has. Unforunately my budget doesn't stretch to good gortex weather proof gear. I do have a "plastic jacket" its not exactly weather proof, but most of the rain rolls off it instead of soaking in like a hoodie would do. I tend to just wear what I usually would for a normal, non-monsoon walk. I do put 2 towels into the dryer before we head out and leave the back gate unlocked (laundry room is right next to the back door in a small hallway before you enter the kitchen) so after the walkies and the ball games we come in the back and I get her towel from the dryer and towel her off and de-mud the paws and all of that and send her into her bed in front of the fire and she's happy as a clam then - then I tend to myself, shuck off the wet gear and into the washer it goes and claim my own warm towel from the dryer and head in to join her by the fire until we both dry off.

Cheap and old fashioned but sure it works. I never mind walking her in the rain and getting soaked - as long as the promise of a warm towel and dry clothes is at the end of it for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was lucky this morning, it wasn't raining at 7.30am but I went out for the walk prepared for it.I have a long water repellant north face coat that I got in the states and my wellies. The dogs run off lead so I can mooch along at my own pace across the fields so wellies are fine for the job. I have a pair of merrell runners for the beach, waterproof and goretex and really comfy.

There isn't really the option with our dogs for not going for the walk. They're setters so don't give a damn if they're soaked to the skin when out in the fields although they love the rub down when they come back. If due to some emergency or full blown hurricane we don't get to go out - you can really tell in their behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

My 3 (collie & 2 collie/X's) tend to sleep all day in weather like this.
    If they get a bit restless I just bring them outside, let them get battered by the wind and rain (exposed coastal location, it can get too dangerous to bring them for a walk), then come back in and they all just pop off to sleep, I think once they know what it's like outside they just think "bugger that, I'd rather have a nap".
    They can go like this for two maybe three days in very rough weather, if it went to four however they get restless, and I end up with 3 "tasmanian devils" chasing each other round the house. :)

If due to some emergency or full blown hurricane we don't get to go out - you can really tell in their behaviour.

Absolutely you can! Particularly with certain breeds. That's the thing about breeding, breeds in the wrong hands anyway, it's just starting to get in the way of a happy dog in the home. Setters in apartments, collies in little gardens, fighting breeds in the wrong hands, my dog won't stop digging, barking...all these things used to be really useful. For most of the 20th century it wasn't so useful but we had lots of space to let them at it. These days all they are is "bold dogs". Breaks my heart.

Also if you're going to feed a running / energetic carnivore a food that is 50% cereal, ie carbohydrate (which essentially is pure sugar), you're going to have a dog that starts to need to get out there and run. High protein diets reduce this agitation immensely as what isn't used is harmlessly rid by the body, but I'm not sure anyone is listening anymore....!!!

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Absolutely you can! Particularly with certain breeds. That's the thing about breeding, breeds in the wrong hands anyway, it's just starting to get in the way of a happy dog in the home. Setters in apartments, collies in little gardens, fighting breeds in the wrong hands, my dog won't stop digging, barking...all these things used to be really useful. For most of the 20th century it wasn't so useful but we had lots of space to let them at it. These days all they are is "bold dogs". Breaks my heart.

Also if you're going to feed a running / energetic carnivore a food that is 50% cereal, ie carbohydrate (which essentially is pure sugar), you're going to have a dog that starts to need to get out there and run. High protein diets reduce this agitation immensely as what isn't used is harmlessly rid by the body, but I'm not sure anyone is listening anymore....!!!

If I lived in an urban area in a house with a shoebox garden there isn't a chance in hell I would have a setter, let alone two!! Even with an acre of garden they still need stimulation and I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by farmland that is also used by the local gun club so the setters can let their instincts take over.

Our older girl is 4 and has fantastic hunting instincts, always flushing out pheasants but our younger (rescue) dog is only about a year and hasn't quite got the hang of it - although yesterday morning he did flush out a big male pheasant and then this morning went straight back to the same area and flushed it out again!

And conversely I always babysit my nieces yorkie who does not like the countryside at all. She is such a little city girl it's not funny. Hates the rain and will stop and look at me in the fields if the grass/crops are too high for her to navigate easily!

As much as my dogs are a working breed they aren't "worked" so I don't feed them a high energy food. They get a bowl of nuts in the morning and evening and every other day they get a bone to munch on. Sardines in the nuts a couple of times a week as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'd imagine each individual dog will have different attitudes to the rain. Mine just loves to be outside no matter what the weather and get the nose to the ground and start picking up scents. I had my very hairy german/collie cross out in the lashing rain last night. He loves splashing in puddles and dancing in mud and generally being outside.

He also loves getting dried off (hugged and rubbed) with a towel and getting his paws cleaned when he gets in. At this stage he sits at the front door and sticks his muddy paws out to be cleaned when he gets back. I wish I'd taught him that but he actually learned to do it himself because he likes the rub down with the towel. It's all fun time to him. As for myself, a cap, a jacket from the army surplus store and a pair of boots do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Gortex again here, great stuff.

Also keep and eye on amazon, I got a knee length (hunter) coat that is totally water proof for £34 inc delivery. (although I got it in june in a clearance sale)

only thing is the heavy rain, the water runs down coat and onto lower legs, so yes get leggings too. Clarks do lovely comfy (but bit expensive €80+) walking boots with gortex, mine lasted about 2 years and just got a new pair. (but beware they are only ankle boots (I walk through some BIG puddles:o)

my dogs are a working breed they aren't "worked" so I don't feed them a high energy food. They get a bowl of nuts in the morning and evening and every other day they get a bone to munch on. Sardines in the nuts a couple of times a week as well.

Hey you are feeding a very high energy food! 50% carbs and high fat, that's pure sugar, a lorra lorra pow!! Athletes eat that before a race! And we wonder why dogs are 25 times more likely to suffer pancreatitis than humans. Diabetes, obesity, hyperactivity with all the sugar etc.

A low pow food would be lots of protein.

But anyway, they're doing well on it so good on 'em! And bones! Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I spend a lot of time outdoors in all weathers & Goretex is the only way to go. The only downside with it is that the repellent outer coating needs redoing once in a while. Be careful buying Goretex on Ebay - there are an awful lot of fakes. Amazon can be very good especially with the free delivery.

A good jacket like Berghaus, North Face will last for many years & never leak - just make sure that you follow the wash instructions.

I buy Berghaus Goretex boots at £60 a pair - they are €150 in Galway !

My dog walking kit is a Berghaus Goretex jacket & bottoms plus Aigle wellies (expensive but worth every cent). The dogs have waterproof coats as well but my Sighthounds hate the rain.

A quick glance here will tell you whether it's better to walk now or wait a while. I am out to take advantage of a gap in the rain.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Just back in, puppy didn't want to go out in the rain but if I didn't take him I'd be in for a hell of an evening. I just go in my usual coat and give up any hope of staying dry - luckily it's pretty warm out. And I'll be out again before bed throwing toys around the garden:(
    Staying in is not an option with my dog, excess energy is used for mischief...

Arnotts christams sale is very good if you want to pic up any ofthe more expensive stuff like north face/helly hansen/columbia. Also Kildare Village have NF and Tog 24 stores - Tog 24's stuff is prettly good and their prices are more affordable. I got my first north face body warmer out of vouchers - their stuff is expensive but the quality imo is brilliant. I can walk for an hour in the rain coat and I'm not drenched in sweat when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Ah TK there you are:D
    I was just about to PM you to ask what is the dog coat you got for Bailey......I am sure it was you that got one. Ancol all weather/stormguard??

I tried to looke it up under search but there are about 1000 pages with dog + coat in them:rolleyes:

anyway I got ours 2 of these coats and low and behold if they are only suitable for light showers:(

tk123 wrote: »
    Arnotts christams sale is very good if you want to pic up any ofthe more expensive stuff like north face/helly hansen/columbia. Also Kildare Village have NF and Tog 24 stores - Tog 24's stuff is prettly good and their prices are more affordable. I got my first north face body warmer out of vouchers - their stuff is expensive but the quality imo is brilliant. I can walk for an hour in the rain coat and I'm not drenched in sweat when I get home.

I have 2 north face fleeces as well, the quality is fantastic and they are warm, yet breathable. (I'm wearing one now:D) My OH has some Tog24 stuff for years and it's still in great nick.

I got a few pairs of pennys "long johns" last year and in the bad weather I put a pair of waterproof golf trousers over them, plenty warm and nice and dry once I tuck the trousers into the wellies!

ppink wrote: »
    Ah TK there you are:D
    I was just about to PM you to ask what is the dog coat you got for Bailey......I am sure it was you that got one. Ancol all weather/stormguard??

I tried to looke it up under search but there are about 1000 pages with dog + coat in them:rolleyes:

anyway I got ours 2 of these coats and low and behold if they are only suitable for light showers:(

:D Ancol storm guard. I got him an EzyDog Element jacked too for while he's on crate/lead rest so we can sit out in the air but that's fleeced lined etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

53 degrees north in the blanchardstown centre have an outlet store on the top floor, bargain rainwear and sometimes gortex boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Well I managed to get out this morning and again late this afternoon, managed 4 miles, not quite the usual 5/6 but it should keep them quiet till tomorrow. I was looking at the Gortex jacket on ebay and suddenly remembered my brother had left a Timberland waterproof jacket here ages ago so I dug it out of the wardrobe, that, the Hunters and some leggings and non heavy rain, all worked out good, but I'm definitely heading for some Gortex trousers!

Thanks guys!

There is no way I could go a whole day without taking them out, especially the younger collie cross, she just wouldn't stand for it she'd be waiting by the door with that stubborn look on her face!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

i prefer walking my mutt in the rain as he's excitable by other dogs when he's on the lead and we normally dont meet many if its raining heavily. he's a boxer/dane cross and doesnt give one iota if he gets soaked, i just towel him off when we come back and let him bask in front of the fire for the evening

some wet gear is well worth the investment, im sure other people can recommend bargains but you'll get well kitted out for a bargain at the outlet outside banbridge. if you're worried about getting too warm just wear light shorts underneath

• Advertisement
Advertisement