Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct tyre question

Options
  • 17-11-2011 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi do the tyres on each axel have to be the same each side or once there's thread there ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

They have to be the same size on each axle. Brand doesn't matter as long as they are the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

That's great news thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bornok

how about the load and speed rating? they must be the same too?

cannot pass the one with 215width at the back and 205 on the front?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 76mini

^^^ Of course you can pass with wider tyres on the back. Many rear wheel drive cars came like that from the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There is talk of load and speed ratings having to be matched in the future though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There is talk of load and speed ratings having to be matched in the future though...

Additionally from what I know in most EU countries, tyres must have the same shape of tread within the axle. So it generally means they have to be the same make and model, as it happens very seldom to have two different tyres with the same tread shape.

AFAIK Ireland and UK are the only countries where this is not required.

Are they thinking about putting such requirement here as well?

CiniO wrote: »
    Additionally from what I know in most EU countries, tyres must have the same shape of tread within the axle. So it generally means they have to be the same make and model, as it happens very seldom to have two different tyres with the same tread shape.

AFAIK Ireland and UK are the only countries where this is not required.

Are they thinking about putting such requirement here as well?

I believe there was something being mentioned about same axle tyres must be standard/directional/asymetric.

Its all being introduced in stages though, 'e' marks where the first stage, tyres manufacturer dates where the second and I believe the load/speed ratings are next on the list..

Its only right anyway as no two tyres of different brand/thread design will handle the same, so why would you want odd handling on your car. The same is true of the speed/load ratings. Even in two identical brand and model of tyre, a H rated one has a different rubber compound to a V rated one so will handle and react differently.

I believe there was something being mentioned about same axle tyres must be standard/directional/asymetric.

Its all being introduced in stages though, 'e' marks where the first stage, tyres manufacturer dates where the second and I believe the load/speed ratings are next on the list..

Its only right anyway as no two tyres of different brand/thread design will handle the same, so why would you want odd handling on your car. The same is true of the speed/load ratings. Even in two identical brand and model of tyre, a H rated one has a different rubber compound to a V rated one so will handle and react differently.

Absolutely true.

As well other thing I heard is that minimum speed rating required in Ireland is the one above maximum permitted speed limit(which in Ireland is 120km/h on motorway).
    Does that mean it's actually legal to fit Q tyres (up to 160km/h) on a car which is able to do 200km/h?

If so I think it's mad, and again it's different than almost anywhere in the EU.]

Absolutely true.

As well other thing I heard is that minimum speed rating required in Ireland is the one above maximum permitted speed limit(which in Ireland is 120km/h on motorway).
    Does that mean it's actually legal to fit Q tyres (up to 160km/h) on a car which is able to do 200km/h?

If so I think it's mad, and again it's different than almost anywhere in the EU.]

You have to remember that most Irish peoples attitide towards tyres is that once they can meet whatever the NCT's absolute minimum standard is then they are a good tyre, road safety, handling, traction etc are all just things that the garage talks about to try to get you to spend 'mad money' on a tyre.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Absolutely true.

My understanding of the regulations is that the tyres fitted must at least meet the homologation standard for the vehicle. I.e. if it had H rated tyres from the factory, then at least H rated tyres must be fitted.

Also, speed ratings are devised based on the maximum speed the tyre will run for 10 minutes at without breaking up: I always go at least one rating above the vehicle's max speed for a margin of safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You have to remember that most Irish peoples attitide towards tyres is that once they can meet whatever the NCT's absolute minimum standard is then they are a good tyre, road safety, handling, traction etc are all just things that the garage talks about to try to get you to spend 'mad money' on a tyre.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know of a few people that make a very healthy living out of selling new tyres, so that argument of us Irish completely avoidin buying tyres is kind of boring.

I know of a few people that make a very healthy living out of selling new tyres, so that argument of us Irish completely avoidin buying tyres is kind of boring.

I know two lads who have tyre shops, one also has a motor factors and he reckons the recession has hit the tyres a bit as they were always seen as a grudge purchase anyway.

Folks can make very decent livings from selling Triangle tyres etc :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    I know two lads who have tyre shops, one also has a motor factors and he reckons the recession has hit the tyres a bit as they were always seen as a grudge purchase anyway.

Folks can make very decent livings from selling Triangle tyres etc :)

I was more refering to the "Nct passable limit"

I know :)
    Hence why cheap tyres are sold in such numbers, I have a set of them myself :pac: In fainress regardless of the NCT I'd always have tyres with thread that I am happy with, pre NCT days I never drove on baldies :)

ND was suggesting folks buy cheap ones in the main I think.

Chimaera wrote: »
    My understanding of the regulations is that the tyres fitted must at least meet the homologation standard for the vehicle. I.e. if it had H rated tyres from the factory, then at least H rated tyres must be fitted.

I never found any requirement like that in Irish law.
    As well it's not checked on NCT.

Also, speed ratings are devised based on the maximum speed the tyre will run for 10 minutes at without breaking up: I always go at least one rating above the vehicle's max speed for a margin of safety.

I'd say margin of safety is way bigger anyway.
    I managed to drive at about 200 - 205km/h permanently for about an hour on T rated tyres (up to 190km/h). Nothing happened and tyres were all OK.

I've never bought "good" tyres. I've driven cars with good tyres, and the only difference is when you push a car on hard, that's when they benefit.

A friends E46 with Good year eagle F1's was absolutely horrible to drive. The road noise was very bad, and the car pulled itself with every bump and hump in the road.

I've seen an Irish attitude to tyres when I first moved here.
    Even though I'm originally from Poland, which economy isn't as great as in Ireland and people are much poorer, I've never seen so many people driving on those cheap Chinese tyres there.
    As well it was the first time here I saw garages balancing only front tyres as there was no need to balance rear ones.
    The best thing though, was when I got a flat tyre and the garage man said he couldn't fix the tyre, but he can sell me a new one. My car has 155/65R13 tyres, but he offered me 155/70R13 and said it was only one size bigger so it wouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't even feel it was different. Probably if looks could kill, he'd dead ;)

I've never bought "good" tyres. I've driven cars with good tyres, and the only difference is when you push a car on hard, that's when they benefit.
    You forgot to mention they differ as well when you want to do something in emergency (like emergency braking or avoiding an obstruction). That's the moment when you really need good tyres. And such moment might happen to anyone anytime unexpectedly and might be a difference between life and death.

A friends E46 with Good year eagle F1's was absolutely horrible to drive. The road noise was very bad, and the car pulled itself with every bump and hump in the road.

Maybe tyres were too wide.

You forgot to mention they differ as well when you want to do something in emergency (like emergency braking or avoiding an obstruction). That's the moment when you really need good tyres. And such moment might happen to anyone anytime unexpectedly and might be a difference between life and death.

The driver has a lot to do with it over the tyre, but the tyre would play a big part. I have Federals on mine, they were 220 from the front two. I wasn't going to pay anymore to be honest.

Maybe tyres were too wide.

And no, they were to manufacturers standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

ok i never got cheap tyres before always got good brand tyre,
    but just got 255/35/18 fullrun but only about 1k on them find ok so far around and that in the wet on bad road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Mine failed on the tyre being the wrong direction ,as in theres an arrow that shows the correct rotation of the tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

maxfresh wrote: »
    Mine failed on the tyre being the wrong direction ,as in theres an arrow that shows the correct rotation of the tyre

well who put them on??

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

fabsoul wrote: »
    well who put them on??

think was my fault as put on spare after puncture

maxfresh wrote: »
    think was my fault as put on spare after puncture

That's why you should never have directional tyre as a spare

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What profile were his F1s? I love mine and i'll be getting them again. Very quiet, grippy tyre, with virtually the same satisfaction ratings as the Michelin PS2s on TyreReviews at about 20% less in price.

On an E46, much more likely to have been an alignment/worn wishbone bush isse then a tyre issue TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Never seen reconditioned tyres in Ireland, does anybody do this ? Or it is illegal here ?
    In Latvia, there is certain companies who offer that kind tyres, even with warranty till 4 mm or so.
    ok, might risky a bit on high speed, but driving in city, and up to 60 mph it shall be fine.
    Before i came to Ireland, i was using such tyres, if regular tyre in average cost around 50 euro, then recondition one cost 20-25 euro. and car passed all tests (nct) , and never had any trouble with them.

What profile were his F1s? I love mine and i'll be getting them again. Very quiet, grippy tyre, with virtually the same satisfaction ratings as the Michelin PS2s on TyreReviews at about 20% less in price.

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask him as he sold the car last week.
    On an E46, much more likely to have been an alignment/worn wishbone bush isse then a tyre issue TBH.

That wouldn't be it, he is the most particular man in the world, and the car had just been NCT'd. It was definitely the tyres, I've driven many, many cars and I know what a worn car feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Some time ago a lady driver complained that her small car handled very poorly, she had just bought it secondhand and was now very unhappy.
    A test run showed that it handled very poorly indeed, a quick check did not show up any mechanical faults. It was then noticed that while the front and rear tyres on one side were the same those on the other side were of a different make. Swapping them around so that each axle had the same make and type cured the handling problem. All of the tyres were only very slightly worn.

• Advertisement

TAPlank wrote: »
    Some time ago a lady driver complained that her small car handled very poorly, she had just bought it secondhand and was now very unhappy.
    A test run showed that it handled very poorly indeed, a quick check did not show up any mechanical faults. It was then noticed that while the front and rear tyres on one side were the same those on the other side were of a different make. Swapping them around so that each axle had the same make and type cured the handling problem. All of the tyres were only very slightly worn.

Odd tyres on the same axle will always cause unusual handling...

Advertisement