Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire service recruitment - what can I do to prepare?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Been interested in joining the fire service for a few years now. Obviously recruitment is very rare these days, and whenever it starts up again I'm sure there'll be a huge number of applications, given how many people are out of work, etc. So competition will be fierce !

Anyways, I'm just wondering if any firemen have suggestions for what I could be doing for the next 2+ years that would improve my chances when the time comes? The likes of:

-General fitness
    -Specific training, e.g. grip strength
    -Visit some fire stations (good for the interview to be able to say you've done this)
    -Get involved in team sport (I'm not currently)
    -First aid course? I've done a really basic one, maybe a better one would be a good shout

What else can ye think of? :)

I'm sure I could be gearing myself towards this over the next few years

Another quick question: I work in IT (web developer), and my degree is in Computer Science. Would they be more inclined to go for candidates who worked in more manual jobs, tradesmen, etc.? Would the career path I've taken be seen as a bit too soft for the fire service?

Cheers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Best of luck with this. Theres no harm in starting to prepare now, nobody really knows when ES recruitment will restart.

Perhaps this is better suited in the Other Emergency Services Recruitment Sub-forum, you'll probably get more responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

First off i would say don't let the fact that you have an IT background hold you back, i was the same and am now a Firefighter.

Here is what i did...
    Visit the station a few times talk with the lads and ladies and ask what worked for them or gave them the extra bit over the other applicants, get familiar with the equipment on the appliances (Nothing too detailed just a basic overview as the specifics will be covered in your recruits training)

Know your station turnout area, and what hazards/risks are in the area (Rivers, Industrial estates, motorways, ports, airports etc..)

Another good idea is to read your current employers safety statement, cos it will give you a good idea of documenting hazzards and the associated risk, i did this and it went down well when i was able to apply it to a question that was asked in the interview.

Find out things like how many watches/crews are in your station.. and what way the shifts are, it shows you are interested

The thing to remember is that they dont expect you to know everything at interview stage because you will be trained from scratch, so they are mainly looking for good character!!

I have kept most of the notes and stuff i made along the way if you need any advise, as well as training material that the lads in the station gave me to read, again i didnt study the stuff like mad because you get that in training, it was just to get more of an overview of the job to be comfortable in the interview..

Most of all try to portray likable confidence in the interview but NOT cockiness.
    And whatever you do, DONT bullsh*t, you will be interviewed probably by two ACFO or SACFO's and they will smell it a mile away!! If you dont know, just say you dont know.

If its DFB you looking to get into i think their panel has been pretty still for the last year or two so it might be a long wait.. but its more time to get familiar with the job..

Oh by the way, the more you learn along the way, the more you will want it!!

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks alot mate, very helpful !

Another question for you if ya don't mind: I've got some problems with my ears, which prevents me from swimming underwater (or I'll get infections, etc). My hearing isn't badly affected, and I can swim fine as long as I keep the head out, but I'm a bit concerned that it might affect me during training or operations.

Is there much water-related activity during training? I know the DFB do some river rescues and things, I presume that depends on where you're posted?

A fireman friend of my brother's said that there was swimming once a week during training, but it wasn't anything too intense, alot of the lads couldn't even swim, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Anyone any thoughts? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Maybe the Mods could move this thread into the 'Other ES Recruitment' forum for you? You might get more replies in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

moved

Cheers guys

Just looking at the courses on here, would it be an idea to start doing these?

http://www.emergencyservicestraining.ie/2010/05/03/cfr-cardiac-first-responder/

Cheers guys

Just looking at the courses on here, would it be an idea to start doing these?

http://www.emergencyservicestraining.ie/2010/05/03/cfr-cardiac-first-responder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

Dave! wrote: »
    Thanks alot mate, very helpful !

Another question for you if ya don't mind: I've got some problems with my ears, which prevents me from swimming underwater (or I'll get infections, etc). My hearing isn't badly affected, and I can swim fine as long as I keep the head out, but I'm a bit concerned that it might affect me during training or operations.

Is there much water-related activity during training? I know the DFB do some river rescues and things, I presume that depends on where you're posted?

A fireman friend of my brother's said that there was swimming once a week during training, but it wasn't anything too intense, alot of the lads couldn't even swim, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated :)
    Hi that could be a problem for you during the swiftwater rescue technician, phase of your training

Advertisement