Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mashtuns - Advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

You could try to build your own like i did. You'll spend hours at it, possibly make an a**e of it, it wont be as good as the home brew company's one and you'll save €30 max.

Easiest just buy one.

This is how i made my one if ya feel like ya have to go down the DIY route. It worked out quite well in the end
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70114861

Just a note i made an improvement to the filter afterwards by inserting a spiral of galvanized wired inside it to give it a bit of structure.

I'm not sure what a sparge arm contraption is but the slotted copper manifold that sits in the bottom takes care of your sparging for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I think I'll just buy one, I've limited tools, limited DIY knowledge and I'd rather just get straight into brewing then trying to put something together

The sparge contraption is a like that copper manifold but it sits at the top and you run your sparge water through it, it spreads the water over the whole mash, I've seen lads on youtube use them, thought I'd need one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I think I'll just buy one, I've limited tools, limited DIY knowledge and I'd rather just get straight into brewing then trying to put something together

The sparge contraption is a like that copper manifold but it sits at the top and you run your sparge water through it, it spreads the water over the whole mash, I've seen lads on youtube use them, thought I'd need one?

Yup your better off just buy one. That sparge arm thing sounds like an easier way of running in your sparge water alright. I sparge in steps so i'm not bothered if i upset the grain bed, i just run off a litre ot two to clear it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

Batch sparging works fine and you can get pretty good efficiency. After the mash is done you just basically rinse the grains out twice with two batches of water at about 80C to get that sweet wort ready for the boil :). I would recommend using batch sparging starting off anyway. There is a very good batch sparge calculator here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/calculators.php?sid=c81105d726e2cfaca8343671214f1745

Mashtun wrote: »
    Yup your better off just buy one. That sparge arm thing sounds like an easier way of running in your sparge water alright. I sparge in steps so i'm not bothered if i upset the grain bed, i just run off a litre ot two to clear it up

Thanks for help, cant wait to get started!
    Heres a link to a guy who has a simple homemade sparge contraption ;) start watching about 5 mins in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8wSHvtq-yw

• Advertisement

mayto wrote: »
    Batch sparging works fine and you can get pretty good efficiency. After the mash is done you just basically rinse the grains out twice with two batches of water at about 80C to get that sweet wort ready for the boil :). I would recommend using batch sparging starting off anyway. There is a very good batch sparge calculator here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/calculators.php?sid=c81105d726e2cfaca8343671214f1745

Cheers, yeh I'll stick to batch sparging I have a large stock pot that would be made redundent otherwise, does it matter how much time there is during each sparge, it could take half an hour to get a secound batch of 10 - 15ls up to temp?

Another way of doing it which I remember seeing on the 8 degrees facebook page is pouring the water over using a steel watering can. could be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Cheers, yeh I'll stick to batch sparging I have a large stock pot that would be made redundent otherwise, does it matter how much time there is during each sparge, it could take half an hour to get a secound batch of 10 - 15ls up to temp?

While the mash is on I would be heating up my sparge water to about 80C. When the mash is finished I would add a portion of the sparge water, stir well and wait 10 min. Then recirculate the first few litres until the wort is free from bits of grain, the drain the mash tun, slowly at first to avoid a stuck mash. This is done twice to get your wort for the boil. Let us know here your setup when brewing your all-grain and we can try guide you through it :)

Advertisement