Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 3yr old GSD getting very jealous of family members

Options
  • 17-11-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me please:

I have a 3yr old Male neutered GSD since he was a 10 week old puppy.

He spends a lot of time with me as he comes to work with me most of the time and in the evenings at home he spends a lot of time in the house in the company of myself, my partner and my 12 and 13yr old sons.

He seems a bit too besotted with me he follows my every move all day and i can tell he dreads bring out in his kennel at night away from me.

Recently he gets very jealous if family members get close to me. He lunges at the boys and gives a stare at people if they are getting too close to me. he also snapped at my 13yr old boy for hugging me and bit him on the face.

Any tips how to deal with this behaviour appreciated. i have had dogs all my life but never saw a dog so possessive of me before, this is my 1st German Shephered and i am very fond of him. because he is so possessive my sons are now constantly taking the mickey with him and testing him by approaching me to make him react.

Not sure how i should treat this, i am the dominant Alpha to him but i am afraid if i get forcefull with him when he behaves like this that ill make him more viscious or stressed.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

IrishHomer wrote: »
    He seems a bit too besotted with me he follows my every move all day and i can tell he dreads bring out in his kennel at night away from me.

Recently he gets very jealous if family members get close to me. He lunges at the boys and gives a stare at people if they are getting too close to me. he also snapped at my 13yr old boy for hugging me and bit him on the face.

Any tips how to deal with this behaviour appreciated. i have had dogs all my life but never saw a dog so possessive of me before, this is my 1st German Shephered and i am very fond of him. because he is so possessive my sons are now constantly taking the mickey with him and testing him by approaching me to make him react.

Not sure how i should treat this, i am the dominant Alpha to him but i am afraid if i get forcefull with him when he behaves like this that ill make him more viscious or stressed.

You must get professional help with this, asap. This is turning into a potentially disastrous situation and it must be addressed immediately. This is not one of those cases that can or should be addressed via an internet forum, it really needs good professional intervention before someone is hurt more seriously... A bite on the face is NOT a snap.
    The kids must, simply must stop deliberately provoking him, and you'll have to hear the truth and whole truth about this whole dominant alpha thing!
    Someone who is properly qualified to deal with serious behavioural issues like this will be able to address the problem one way or the other, if you'd like good references for properly qualified behaviourists let us know where you are in the country and someone may be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Totally agree with the above poster... you must get a professional trainer to help you deal with this issue, I am sure it can be sorted out with some guidance from a professional.

It is imperative that you stop your children purposely trying to upset the dog... they may think this is funny but they are encouraging and escalating his behaviour. Your dog may see that he has to protect you... ad your boys are trying to get him to react... this will result in one of them getting seriously hurt and no doubt and animals PTS through no fault of his own.

GS are very intelligent dogs and wonderful animals and family pets, but they are big and strong so purposely trying to aggravate the dog in my opinion is extremely unfair and inciting his behaviour.... if this is going on over the last few months he has “learned” this behaviour.

Seek professional help, STOP your children from tormenting him... and with training for both the dog and your kids I’m sure this behaviour can be stopped... before someone is seriously hurt and another dog PTS.

Best of luck

Advertisement