Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for puppy

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on the best insurance for a puppy.

I just got my Bichon Frise micro-chipped today when he was getting his 2nd vaccination and the vet gave me a form to send away that gets me 6 weeks free insurance with Allianz. Happy Days!
    But obviously this 6 weeks is probably only very basic cover and when it runs out I want to get him properly insured.

So I was wondering what is the best company to go with? I don't mean the cheapest one though. I don't mind paying for the insurance, I just want to get him the best cover I can.
    Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would recommend either Allianz or Pet Insure. They are both very good and probably the best 2 companies on the market. I would imagine it wouldnt be too expensive for your Bichon to be insured. My Rottweilers are €20 each every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thanks for that.
    Do you know if insurance companies offer a package that includes coverage of other things like worming, booster vaccinations, flea treatment etc?
    I just think it might be easier if the price of this was an extra couple of euro a month rather than having to fork out for it in one go.

No, pet insurance companies dont cover routine things like worming, vaccinations, neutering etc. You have to pay for that kind of stuff yourself.

andreac wrote: »
    No, pet insurance companies dont cover routine things like worming, vaccinations, neutering etc. You have to pay for that kind of stuff yourself.

Oh I understand that. I was just wondering if they had a kind of savings/payment plan thing where I could pay extra each month and then have them already paid for by the time it comes around.
    Not to worry anyway I'll just put away a few bob each month for those things.
    Thanks for the reply.

No, they dont. They only cover illnesses and conditions the dog gets sick or injured from. Routine worming etc doesnt cost very much really so i wouldnt be too concerned on those charges.

Pet insurance is highly recommended though. Ive a young rottie who has just had a Cruciate repair operation in UCD vet college which is costing over 2000 between consulations and the operation itself. Thankfully shes insured so all i had to pay was the excess of €90.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    No, they dont. They only cover illnesses and conditions the dog gets sick or injured from. Routine worming etc doesnt cost very much really so i wouldnt be too concerned on those charges.

Pet insurance is highly recommended though. Ive a young rottie who has just had a Cruciate repair operation in UCD vet college which is costing over 2000 between consulations and the operation itself. Thankfully shes insured so all i had to pay was the excess of €90.

Seems as though the insurance is well worth it so.
    Is pet insurance like car insurance the way if you make a claim your premium goes shooting up the following year?
    Hope your dog makes a good recovery!

It goes up a bit, all depending on how much you claim, but afaik its not usually a huge amount so you should be ok if you do have to claim.

Thanks a mill, its going to be a long road but we'll get there, fingers crossed :).

Ok well that's a weight off my mind.
    Thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement