Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with question

Options
  • 16-11-2011 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

Im doing a course and one of the questions is pasted below. I have no idea about this stuff so if anyone could answer and explain it step by step I would be very grateful!

A tank contains fuel oil of relative density 0.75 and exerts a pressure of 12 kN/m2 onto the base of the tank. Calculate the depth of fuel that the tank presently holds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Hi,

Im doing a course and one of the questions is pasted below. I have no idea about this stuff so if anyone could answer and explain it step by step I would be very grateful!

A tank contains fuel oil of relative density 0.75 and exerts a pressure of 12 kN/m2 onto the base of the tank. Calculate the depth of fuel that the tank presently holds.

Have a look for a formula for the pressure P at a depth h in a liquid of density [latex]\rho[/latex]

The relative density of a substance is the density of the substance divided by the density of water (which conveniently is 1) so the relative density of the fuel oil is effectively the density of the fuel oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Have a look for a formula for the pressure P at a depth h in a liquid of density [latex]\rho[/latex]

The relative density of a substance is the density of the substance divided by the density of water (which conveniently is 1) so the relative density of the fuel oil is effectively the density of the fuel oil.

Isn't the density of water (in SI units) approximately 1000 kg/(m^3)?

So the density of the fuel will be 750 kg/(m^3).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Isn't the density of water (in SI units) approximately 1000 kg/(m^3)?

So the density of the fuel will be 750 kg/(m^3).

True.

It was a bit late when I was putting in my post and I was thinking of the density of water as 1 gr/cm^3 which gives the density of the oil in the container as 0.75 gr/cm^3.

Advertisement