Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job interview coming up, have some questions

Options
  • 16-11-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a job interview coming up next Monday in England and I'm leaving next Friday. I've been doing a lot of research over the last few weeks, looking over reports and article pertinant to my job but I still feel I need to do more. I've been talking to people in the know and they think I'm in a good position to get it, I've some experience, good qualification and just love the job which I hope will come across in the interview. I'm afraid that i might get too complacement with all the preparation I'm putting into this.

I've been making up questions that might come up and I have been rehersing them over my head and writting my answers out. I've been to one official interview which was only a short one, 10mins, I got the job but felt I made a lot of mistakes. I'm afraid when I walk into the interview room that I'll just freeze.

The interview will last for approx 30min, follwed by a 15min written and visual test. What exactly do you think will be in the written and visual test? Is this sort of an apptitude test and colour blindness test, I'm a bit nervous because I can make some spelling mistakes. Also I'm worried if they'll ask me "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" because I don't really want to work in the area, I'm just going there to get more experience and come back here again when the state recruitment embargo is lifted.

I made contact with my local Employment agency worker about advice and I've only gotten word back today and I'm leaving next Friaday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I've been making up questions that might come up and I have been rehersing them over my head and writting my answers out. I've been to one official interview which was only a short one, 10mins, I got the job but felt I made a lot of mistakes. I'm afraid when I walk into the interview room that I'll just freeze.

The more prepared you are, the less like you are to freeze.. :)
    The interview will last for approx 30min, follwed by a 15min written and visual test. What exactly do you think will be in the written and visual test? Is this sort of an apptitude test and colour blindness test, I'm a bit nervous because I can make some spelling mistakes.

Thats going to depend largely on the type of job (you haven't mentioned)..
    The requirements and tests for an air traffic controller will be different from a brick layer.. :) 15 mins for each is short, so it's unlikely there will be any great depth to the tests.. If you make spelling mistakes, then take your time and read what you wrote, not what you think you wrote.. and try and relax if possible.

Also I'm worried if they'll ask me "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" because I don't really want to work in the area, I'm just going there to get more experience and come back here again when the state recruitment embargo is lifted.

Answer it in a general fashion.. you don't need to mention that you don't intend on doing your ideal role for them.. So if you want to take a management route then talk about that.. if technical then talk about that etc. But you do need to answer this question..

If it helps (as you sound very nervous)... I have always had a fairly good idea of who I want to hire based on the CV's (and I have read thousands).. If you have been called then you are in with a good shot.. You won't be able to help the fact that others may have more skills or better experience, but you can give yourself a great boost be being prepared (you would be amazed at the amount of people who don't even know what we do (and this is for high paid professional roles), being relaxed, thoughtful, personable and interesting.. At the end of the day, you can be taught skills so being someone they like and can work with, is far more valuable than employing a muppet who has had some extra experience.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Thanks.

I forgot to mention it's a Fisheries position, an enforcement role. I have cover all the material and have given time to keep reviewing it. I just feel the same way as if I'm going into a final year exam. I'm not sure if I'm over doing it or being complacent. I plan to keep revising my material and answers right up to the last day, I'm not sure if this is any good or if I should just do nothing on the last day

Advertisement