Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Situation

Options
  • 16-11-2011 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Il explain my situation first..I came to Ireland in 1997..I was only 5,with my siblings and Mother..My Father was already here,My Grandmother on my fathers side is Irish..and my dad has an Irish passport..he had moved over a year before.So I had been living here 11 years when I became pregnant with my daughter..When I was 17 I travelled to Sweden,for a football game..anyways my way back i was stopped at Immigration..and i was asked for my Stamp on my passport..which i did not have..i was then told i was supposed to register myself when i turned 16..so they placed a stamp on my passport..the leave in 30 days one..so i told them i had a social welfare card and a pps number..i didnt see how i could have those if i was not allowed to stay here..anyways I went to The GNIB place and gave in all details of my grandmothers,fathers and a letter from my Social Worker..stating i had a daughter and some personal family issues..(basically i had a falling out with my parents when i became pregnant and they werent willing to help me in trying to sort out my Immigration..i was then told had been illegal so i had to write to the Department of Foreign Affairs.. A friend of mines stepdad knew woman who then worked in GNIB and told her my situation..so she took my passport and all my documents and gave me the stamp on my passport..So thankful! Anyways the stamp i recieved is Without Conditions..not the as to a time one..But i Do not have a GNIB card..and was told i need to get one..then told i didnt need one..So incredibliy confused..i returned from paris after a holiday last year and coming through passport control the guy didnt even know what my stamp meant..i had to explain..So im worried now if i need a GNIB card..will they question me on as to why i dont have one?especially since i already have a stamp?And do i need one? Please help as i'd like to get this sorted out out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

granny is Irish , why not get an Irish passport

Or have they stopped that option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Perrys

Iv considered..but not sure if you need to gain citizenship beforehand..and heard it can cost alot..not exactly sure..if youv any advice i'd be happy to hear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Perrys wrote: »
    Iv considered..but not sure if you need to gain citizenship beforehand..and heard it can cost alot..not exactly sure..if youv any advice i'd be happy to hear it :)

Just doing a bit of googling I came up with this

If either of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth]

Got that info from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

A without condition stamp means that you are an irish citizen
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Without_Condition_Endorsement

it's placed in your foreign passport for your convenience. You are an irish citizen, you just could not prove it at the airport, this stamp will act as proof in future.

You are not eligible for a GNIB card as you are an Irish citizen.

You could also apply for an irish passport which might make things easier for you in future.

Advertisement