Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some Ales

Options
  • 16-11-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Following on from the O'Haras success for me, I was going to try some more Ales, both Dark and Pale. Is there some Ales that stand above the rest, or can I get some recommendations, the more the merrier :D , I was basically going to put in an order to the Drinkstore for a shed load of different Ales, so I need to make it worth my while for the Delivery charge. So I basically need to fill a 30 KG order of Ale ;).
    Thanks in advance.....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭marketty

Lidl/Aldi (can never remember which!) had a nice variety of shepherd neame brewery products recently, they are pretty good, easy enough to find and good value, just not v adventurous. Since you're ordering from drinkstore I'd recommend any of the brewdog stuff if you want something different!
    My personal favorite brewery is innis&gunn, oak aged ale is a damn fine beverage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does it have to be ale? I definitely recommend getting some Schlenkerla Marzen and BrewDog Zeitgeist if dark lagers are acceptable.

Alewise, picking decent stuff randomly: Thornbridge Jaipur, Goose Island IPA, Porterhouse Brainblásta, Brooklyn Black Chocolate, Nøgne Ø IPA, Duvel, Chimay Bleu, Knockmealdown Porter, Fuller's ESB, Fyne Ales Jarl, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Dungarvan Black Rock.

Plenty of good drinking there, for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

marketty wrote: »
    Lidl/Aldi (can never remember which!) had a nice variety of shepherd neame brewery products recently
    Shep Neame stuff is not very good, by and large.

You'll get better quality in Tesco (O'Hara's, London Pride, Hobgoblin) and it's cheaper (for now).

Well it was good to see a bit more of their varieties available, not just bishops finger and spitfire, but I would agree in general their stuff is probably at the lower end of the ale market, i recommend it as a kind of 'gateway' ale, different from the big brands but bland enough for the less adventurous. Like I said if I was ordering from drinkstore id definitely go for some of the stuff beernut recommends!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Thanks for all the recommendations, I think I will do both, I'll go for a trip to the Supermarkets at the W/E, and I am building an order for Christmas in the Drinkstore.
    I'm not going to limit it to the Ales on Beernuts suggestion, I guess I am looking for something a bit different from the big commercial players. I do most of my drinking at home now, what with small kids and all that, nothing better to relax in the evening with a bottle of good Ale / Beer. ;)

Actually is there any Beers worth trying in Tesco's? Think I will go there this evening and get a selection.
    Again, thanks for all the suggestions, I always find the Boards a great source of info for whatever I am looking for.

• Advertisement

N97 says tesco have hobgoblin and London pride at a good price, wil pick up a few if I'm in, they're both v good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Actually is there any Beers worth trying in Tesco's? Think I will go there this evening and get a selection.

O Hara's Irish pale ale and O' Hara's Leann Follain would be top of my list there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭The Mulk

innis&gunn have three types available in Tesco's at the mo.

The original oak aged, a rum cask aged and a whiskey cask aged(I think).

I had two bottles of the the rum cask last week,(7.6%) not to be taken lightly!

I don't think the whiskey cask is reduced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

BeerNut wrote: »
    Does it have to be ale? I definitely recommend getting some Schlenkerla Marzen and BrewDog Zeitgeist if dark lagers are acceptable.

Alewise, picking decent stuff randomly: Nøgne Ø IPA

wow. @ €7 euro a bottle ??? :eek: lovely beer but...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's worth it. Most of the Nogne O's are.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It's worth it. Most of the Nogne O's are.

Yes, I keep surprising myself by continuing to buy the odd one even at the price.

Yes, I keep surprising myself by continuing to buy the odd one even at the price.

I would have to disagree (cheapskate that I am), I like it allright but for 7 Euro I can avail of 2 Youngs London, or 2 Fullers ESB....

2 Youngs London, or 2 Fullers ESB....

Both of which are alright beers, but nowhere near as flavorsome as the Nogne O's. If I'm buying quality beer, I don't really think in bottle quantities or litres, moreso which I'll enjoy most :)

If the OP is looking for beers that will stand above the rest, then brewers like Nogne O, Brewdog, Mikkellers, The Great Divide, etc are the way to go.

Both of which are alright beers, but nowhere near as flavorsome as the Nogne O's. If I'm buying quality beer, I don't really think in bottle quantities or litres, moreso which I'll enjoy most :)

If the OP is looking for beers that will stand above the rest, then brewers like Nogne O, Brewdog, Mikkellers, The Great Divide, etc are the way to go.

Sorry. Whereas I do not wish to start a debate (and thus derail this thread) I just cannot accept that paying €7 for a bottle of 'fruity', 'passable' beer is better than two such quality ales. Served at the correct temperature both ESB and Youngs London wholly surpass Nogne O.

For such a premium to be placed on (in my view) an average brew (only remarkable and best imbibed when faced with such alternatives in the country such as Ringnes, Freudenlund or Hansa) when offered a plethora of other ales for less than half the price ? No contest. At the very least choose two different brews for the same price if you want to experience ales.

Whereas the Draft is nice and the bottles are nice for me, at €7 per bottle its a sense of the Emperor has no clothes I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's all relative and dependent on personal taste though.

I've tried the Nøgne Ø IPA, and while I thought it was a really nice beer and certainly above average, I didn't think it was worth it's inflated price tag.

I wouldn't have a problem paying the price if I felt it was worth it though.

Sorry. Whereas I do not wish to start a debate (and thus derail this thread)

Bit late for that!
    I just cannot accept that paying €7 for a bottle of 'fruity', 'passable' beer is better than two such quality ales. Served at the correct temperature both ESB and Youngs London wholly surpass Nogne O.

This is so subjective and down to personal taste. I really like Young's London but it in no way compares to some of the Nogne Os, to my taste, and to label them as 'passable' and say you don't want to start a debate is ridiculous. Personally, I think to say ESB and Young's London surpass Nogne O is an equally ridiculous statement - it's just your opinion and one that not many people knowledgeable about beer would agree with.
    For such a premium to be placed on (in my view) an average brew (only remarkable and best imbibed when faced with such alternatives in the country such as Ringnes, Freudenlund or Hansa) when offered a plethora of other ales for less than half the price ? No contest.

Calling it an average brew just doesn't stand up.

At times, I'd want 2 bottles of other ales, sometimes I want one very flavourful, strong, interesting beer. Some Nogne Os do this for me.
    At the very least choose two different brews for the same price if you want to experience ales.

There is some sense in that but why deny yourself the experience of a beer just cause it's expensive - that is a decision each must make for themselves.
    Whereas the Draft is nice and the bottles are nice for me, at €7 per bottle its a sense of the Emperor has no clothes I'm afraid.

I think you have been influenced by the price as much as you are accusing others of being. You claim others are conditioned into thinking it must be a good beer because it is expensive yet you are claiming it to be 'passable' and 'average', I would claim, just because it is expensive or for the sake of debate although earlier in the thread you referred to it as 'lovely beer'.

The price on a bottle doesn't make it good or bad - it merely affects peoples perception of value.

For me, of the ones I've tried, the Nogne O #100 and #500 are the ones I go back to and find deliver for the price. Some of the others don't seem such great value to me. I want to try some more, though.

OP, the problem with asking this kind of advise here is that everyone has, sometimes wildly, different opinions.

Some beers I like:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Young's London Ale
    O' Hara's Irish Pale Ale

Orval Trappist , in fact , I like all the Trappist beers - so many good Belgian beers out there, generally.

O' Hara's Leann Follain Stout

Schneiderweiss Original and Aventinus
    Weihenstephaner Dunkle

I like most of the offerings from the following breweries:
    Odell's, Flying Dog, Goose Island, Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Brooklyn, BrewDog

A handy rule of thumb is to avoid beers that come in clear or green bottles - it indicates that the marketing department of the brewery has more control than the brewer. (I'm sure there are some examples of fine beer in clear bottles but it is a handy guide)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I knew it was basically an open ended question and down to personal taste, but,Its actually great to see people passionate enough to debate the merits of each Ale/Beer, and a few names keep floating to the surface.
    I have to try the Nogne O as well, seeing the "Storm" its created :D.

I'm basically going to go to tesco's and fill up with as many as I can and then I'm going to do an Xmas shopping list for the Drinkstore for whatever is not available in Tesco's.
    Thanks very much for all the input, I will have to try them all methinks purely for research reasons of course...

Bit late for that!

This is so subjective and down to personal taste. I really like Young's London but it in now way compares to some of the Nogne Os, to my taste, and to label them as 'passable' and say you don't want to start a debate is ridiculous. Personally, I think to say ESB and Young's London surpass Nogne O is an equally ridiculous statement - it's just your opinion and one that not many people knowledgeable about beer would agree with.

Fair enough, let us continue this debate a little.
    Of course, whatever anyone writes here is, often their opinion. My post was nothing other than that as you will have seen by such statements as "in my view" ? ( I would think that in itself was quite obvious).

It seems clear that taking the opposite view to my opinion it is clear you would not consider me as knowledgeable about beer then? Nøgne Ø brews are in my view extremely nice on draught, yet there are so many many like for like beers of equal if not better standard and as such in my view, does not warrant a bottle price anywhere near double that of other brews.
    Calling it an average brew just doesn't stand up.
    Why not ? That is my view. Have you tried every ale by comparison to give you enough support to to deny me my opinion ?
    I hale from the home counties in the UK and spent my formative (and many after) years drinking ales from all region both at festivals and at my locals. All descriptions, all brews, the two of notoriety being Youngs and Fullers breweries yet notwithstanding that Berkshire and Oxfordshire ales as standard offerings.
    In fact the Nøgne Ø that I tried is extremely reminiscent of an ale called Corn Dolly ( by this crew: http://www.threecastlesbrewery.co.uk) which actually retails when available at the local of my choice when I'm back home (http://nagsheadreading.com/home.php) at around £3 per pint. NOT anywhere near €7.

In addition to this I spend a considerable amount of time in Norway and Denmark and have over the years enjoyed many fine ales along the way (the majority in Denmark, I'm relatively new to Nogno brews I do confess), however my opinion remains that for me, they do not (in my view) warrant the price tag.
    There is some sense in that but why deny yourself the experience of a beer just cause it's expensive - that is a decision each must make for themselves.
    I feel (having have enough of a breadth of knowledge to decide) that if I want to spend €7 of my hard earned money, the beer should be of sufficient notoriety as to be of exceptional quality given what I can also purchase for that price. Yet your point is well made, it is of course a decision for the purchaser. I merely expressed my opinion and therefore would expect those making a purchase would ultimately do the same.
    I think you have been influenced by the price as much as you are accusing others of being. You claim others are conditioned into thinking it must be a good beer because it is expensive yet you are claiming it to be 'passable' and 'average', I would claim, just because it is expensive or for the sake of debate although earlier in the thread you referred to it as 'lovely beer'.The price on a bottle doesn't make it good or bad - it merely affects peoples perception of value.
    Am I ? I am influenced by the cost of something that in my opinion is not exceptional. My reaction to the pricing was one of surprise. It is nice. Simply in my view, my perception of the value I would personally place on this is that it is not exceptional to the point of warranting double the price.

So in synopsis and perhaps I ought to apologise if my remarks were in any way misleading, all I have written is my opinion and nothing more.

I've asked before but got no answer. Why are Nøgne Ø beers so expensive? And are they so popular due to the high price, therefore being borderline Veblen goods?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why are Nøgne Ø beers so expensive?
    They're mostly quite strong, which ups the excise duty, and it's the full whack too, since Norway isn't in the EU so can't avail of Ireland's excise cut.

I suspect they have quite a laborious route to market: I doubt Four Corners are bringing them direct to Ballymount from Grimstad. Everyone along the chain has to get a cut.

I'm fairly confident that they cost a lot to make: when you have Norwegian levels of tax it makes no sense to skimp on ingredients.

And, ultimately, your money is paying for a business that deals with overheads and salaries at the Norwegian level.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've asked before but got no answer. Why are Nøgne Ø beers so expensive? And are they so popular due to the high price, therefore being borderline Veblen goods?

High production costs in country of origin, high excise here, cost of importing it, premium added for pretty bottle.

It'd good stuff but it's not worth €7 a bottle in of itself.

Seaneh wrote: »
    High production costs in country of origin,
    high excise here,
    cost of importing it,
    premium added for pretty bottle.
    I think the first 2 are the only factors in the high price. There are beers from from the other side of the world that don't cost anyway near as much.

Pretty bottle? Really? It's just a standard brown bottle with a nice simple label.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think the first 2 are the only factors in the high price. There are beers from from the other side of the world that don't cost anyway near as much.

Pretty bottle? Really? It's just a standard brown bottle with a nice simple label.

I find it quite pretty :)

And yeah, there are other beers coming from the other side of the world at a lesser cost, but they are being imported in bulk by big distributors and resold to vendors all over the gaff.

For instance, if The Porter House stopped importing the beers they do and reselling them to the independant offies and bars around the country that stock them and those offies and bars then had to use a smaller importer/distributor or import it themselves there would (a) not be able to import half the range and (b) pay through the nose for what they can get.

Nøgne Ø doesn't have a massive market here and as such probably isn't directly imported by a large distributor like say Monteith's or Sierra Nevada's stuff is.

Economy of scale and all that.

fatboypee wrote: »
    Served at the correct temperature both ESB and Youngs London wholly surpass Nogne O.

You're fully, 100% entitled to your opinion, but in mine, that's absolute arse. The Nøgne Ø beers are far superior. The English ales are boring in comparison. In particular, the Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and Double IPA shine. They really are beautiful beers.

You're fully, 100% entitled to your opinion, but in mine, that's absolute arse. The Nøgne Ø beers are far superior. The English ales are boring in comparison. In particular, the Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and Double IPA shine. They really are beautiful beers.

Thats what makes the world go round. Everyone is different. Out of interest, are you comparing draught or bottles when you point to my opinion being absolute arse ?

Comparing bottled with bottled for the sake of the OP, but I've drank enough Fullers & Youngs on cask and draught. As soon as the Nøgne Ø becomes available on tap someplace local, I'll try it.

Comparing bottled with bottled for the sake of the OP, but I've drank enough Fullers & Youngs on cask and draught. As soon as the Nøgne Ø becomes available on tap someplace local, I'll try it.

You see this is my point. I suggested two alternatives, immediately vilified as being boring. I'm not advocating any above Nøgne Ø I'm merely pointing out that, to me, Nøgne Ø is not worth the high cost. It is not that its not good, just to me, its not that good. Equally I find it bemusing as to how people cannot debate a point without abusing another person's opinion ? FFS it really is only beer after all ? Even after all the bickering, it's still only beer...

fatboypee wrote: »
    at €7 per bottle its a sense of the Emperor has no clothes I'm afraid.

That statement suggests that anybody that doesn't agree with your view is misguided and foolish and merely follows trends without any appreciation of the beer - ie me and anyone else here who buys Nogne O on occasion.

Had you simply said that you didn't think the beer warranted the price, there would have been no argument.
    In fact the Nøgne Ø that I tried is extremely reminiscent of an ale called Corn Dolly

So you've tried one of their beers and are qualified to dismiss the whole range as 'passable', 'average' and wholly surpassed by Young's London and ESB ?

Personally, I would not pay the price for all of their beers but a few have stood out as being special enough to warrant the premium price.

I'm not advocating any above Nøgne Ø I'm merely pointing out that, to me, Nøgne Ø is not worth the high cost.
    ok
    Served at the correct temperature both ESB and Youngs London wholly surpass Nogne O.
    :confused::confused::confused:

It is not that its not good
    Oh ok.
    bottle of 'fruity', 'passable' beer
    and
    (in my view) an average brew (only remarkable and best imbibed when faced with such alternatives in the country such as Ringnes, Freudenlund or Hansa)
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Come on now lads, as everyone knows beer and arguments don't mix :D

Advertisement