Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation help bitte :)

Options
  • 16-11-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

No idea what this means so if anybody could help that'd make me a very happy bunny :D

"Sprachregister im roman sprache und struktur"

Language something novel something or other .. structure..?

Yeah, im good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

From google translate

"Language registers in the romantic language and structure"

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Now i feel like a fool.. :L Google translate usually gets a lot of translations areseways so i tend not to trust it. Should have at least tried it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'Language database in Roman languages and language structures'

I would go for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The fact that it isn't proper german to start with probably doesn't help :D
    (looks like it's been mangled by google translator at least once before it ended up as "german")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Lads, I don't understand how you come up with the conclusion that roman translates as roman. :confused: English roman is German romanisch or Römer, not roman. Also, the preposition im clearly indicates that it's a noun we're looking for. And *that*, dear English speakers, is why the German language uses capital letters for nouns - makes it so much easier! ;)

I believe the OP was a bit careless and that the phrase reads something like: "Sprachregister im Roman: Sprache und Struktur". Enter Sprachregister into Wikipedia and you get redirected to Varietät (Linguistik), the English version of which is Variety (linguistics).

So I'd say "Linguistic Variety in the Novel: Language and Structure" comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

F.A. wrote: »
    Lads, I don't understand how you come up with the conclusion that roman translates as roman. :confused: English roman is German romanisch or Römer, not roman. Also, the preposition im clearly indicates that it's a noun we're looking for. And *that*, dear English speakers, is why the German language uses capital letters for nouns - makes it so much easier! ;)

I believe the OP was a bit careless and that the phrase reads something like: "Sprachregister im Roman: Sprache und Struktur". Enter Sprachregister into Wikipedia and you get redirected to Varietät (Linguistik), the English version of which is Variety (linguistics).

So I'd say "Linguistic Variety in the Novel: Language and Structure" comes close.

Okay, when I read that, I feel a bit embarrassed now. One of these 'False Friends' my English teacher always warned about.

So I did my A levels in English, and as a German native, I should have spotted, that it is a novel, we are talking about (= Roman)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

What is the original text in German?

Bear in mind that "Roman" is German for "novel"... ie, as in a work of fiction...

What you want translated looks like it was originally in German and then mistranslated into English and then mistranslated back into German! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

What is the original text in German?

Bear in mind that "Roman" is German for "novel"... ie, as in a work of fiction...

What you want translated looks like it was originally in German and then mistranslated into English and then mistranslated back into German! :pac:

It came straight from my lecturer. Word for word!

Advertisement