Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

obsessive compulsive spartanism

Options
  • 16-11-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Howdy, hope it's okay to post this here but I'm wondering if anyone suffers from or knows somebody who has the condition of 'Obsessive Compulsive Spartanism'? It's the opposite of hoarding, apparently, and I was reading about it in the Irish Times health supplement last Tuesday. My query is for radio research and I would be grateful if anyone can shed further light. Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A quick Google Scholar shows no research into "Obsessive Compulsive Spartanism"; a quick Google Web of "Spartanism OCD" brings up 5 sites which mention it, none of which is an OCD site, and one of which is the Irish Times article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Never heard of it, whats the basis? People obsessively throw things away? Could be interesting.

(its early so when I first read the title I was think of Sparta, I was wondering what obsessive compulsive spartans would be like :p;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I'm not going to lie to you, but it sounds like something someone pulled out of their arse. I'll have a look in more detail later bit I'm skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thesham001

Ha, sounds dodgy alright. Like to know more if anyone finds something.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

no sounds like an actual disorder. i knew this guy who after moving into his new job and provided fully-furnished apartment, (married guy too and all) unplugged the fridge, put away the tv and computer, moved all the furniture around and all, when i had a glance around the apartment it did look 'spartan' to say the least.

• Advertisement

no sounds like an actual disorder. i knew this guy who after moving into his new job and provided fully-furnished apartment, (married guy too and all) unplugged the fridge, put away the tv and computer, moved all the furniture around and all, when i had a glance around the apartment it did look 'spartan' to say the least.

Knowing a guy who fits the discription doesn't make it a clinically recognised disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spartack Gus

Thanks for the replies, this might need a bit of closer scrutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I don't see any logical reason why 'hoarding' can be considered a condition as part of either the OCD or OCPD spectrum of behaviour disorders but 'purging/spartanism/frugalism/minimalism' isn't.

Is the persons overwhelming urge to declutter effecting their lives or their friends and families lives?

I'm pretty sure Ch4 did a programme on some mother who kept throwing their kids stuff out, every few weeks, brand new good stuff, and they were going mad.

I don't see any logical reason why 'hoarding' can be considered a condition as part of either the OCD or OCPD spectrum of behaviour disorders but 'purging/spartanism/frugalism/minimalism' isn't.

Is the persons overwhelming urge to declutter effecting their lives or their friends and families lives?

I'm pretty sure Ch4 did a programme on some mother who kept throwing their kids stuff out, every few weeks, brand new good stuff, and they were going mad.

It may very well exist in that there are people like that, and that this behaviour has a clinically significant detrimental effect on their lives, but I highly doubt it's a clinically recognised disorder in and of itself. Chances are, someone suffering with this issue to a clinically significant level would be diagnosed with OCD.

Advertisement