Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feldpost Number

Options
  • 16-11-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Can anybody help me with identifying a unit from its feldpost number. The number is 45226 and the letter is dated 26/10/43.

If this would be better in the WW2 forum feel free to move it, I'm not sure if I am allowed to double post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

There's no problem leaving it here as it is militaria related.If you want to double your chances by posting a similar thread on the WW2 forum then I can't see a problem with that.Morlar might be the man to ask about this one.Hope you find the unit your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

arnhem44 wrote: »
    There's no problem leaving it here as it is militaria related.If you want to double your chances by posting a similar thread on the WW2 forum then I can't see a problem with that.Morlar might be the man to ask about this one.Hope you find the unit your looking for.

I already looked and can not find this one. I have the number but NOT for the date range given.

(28.2.1941-29.7.1941) Nachrichten-Kompanie 717,
    (12.3.1943-7.9.1943) 1. Kompanie Jäger-Divisions-Nachrichten-Abteilung 11

I recently lost all my bookmarks, far as I can make out the best site used to be this one :
    http://www.stampsx.com/ratgeber/stempel-datenbank.php

however I can't find the search facility - so the bookmark I must have used was slightly different.

You might be interested in this thread also :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56951

BlackEdelWeiss are you a member on there ?

If not I will put your number/dates on there and see what the response is, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I just had a quick Google and found this forum if it's any use to you.

http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thanks, I had just found those sites a short while ago and found that information. It confirmed the information I was looking for.
    I recently bought a feldpost envelope on ebay and was trying to identify if it was from the unit that it was described as.
    The dates on the stampsx site are a bit strange though, the first date states that it was from the news(signals???) company of the 717 infantry division, the stampsx dates finish in 1941 however this unit existed until 1943 where it fought mainly in anti partisan operations in the balkans and took part in the massacre of Kragujevac . In 1943 it was renamed the 117th Jager Division, this unit becoming the signals battalion and was transferred to Greece where members of the division took part in the Kalavryta massacre in December 1943.
    The next dates on the stampsx site ""Kreisstempel" als BDPh-Empfehlung)
    Verwendungszeit: 28.2.1941 bis 21.5.1945" relate to the post mark from what I can gather and these correspond with the units full life from its formation in April 1941 to May 1945. The date 28/2/1941 may relate to when the unit was given the feldpost number possibly prior to it becoming an official unit 2 months later.
    This envelope is dated 26/10/1943, less than 2 months before the Greek massacre, 9 days after the original killing of 80 german soldiers by the greek partisans.

I got it from a guy who had loads of feldpost for sale, none of them from very famous or infamous locations or units, this one was just tucked away in the middle of it all. I collect Jager items when I can afford them so I was very excited to find such an example. I dont know if it is genuine or not as it is my first feldpost and have never studied them in any way before but I thought it was worth the €1.75 to see. I had a very exciting day watching the ebay auction of which I was the only bidder but for the grand total of €3 including postage I got the most enjoyment/excitement out of buying any item I have in my whole collection.
    Does anybody know how to identify real or fake feldpost items?
    I am a member of wehrmacht-awards, I try to avoid it though as it either makes me jealous of the collections some people have and it annoys me because I can rarely afford to buy anything from there, on the rare occasions I get money to spare I am usually straight onto the e stand to see if there is anything I can afford.

Advertisement