Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Courses?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm in the NW of Northern Ireland and have been shooting with a local club for a few months.

I still feel like I'm just lifting the bow and aimlessly shooting arrows in the general direction of the target. :rolleyes: Is there any where near to me that I can go for tuition where someone can teach me what I need to do to improve? Our club has been talking about starting a seperate beginners session from the normal one, but as yet nothing has materialised.

I'd really like to improve what I'm doing before any bad habits I may be forming are set in stone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Eviemay wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the NW of Northern Ireland and have been shooting with a local club for a few months.

I still feel like I'm just lifting the bow and aimlessly shooting arrows in the general direction of the target. :rolleyes: Is there any where near to me that I can go for tuition where someone can teach me what I need to do to improve? Our club has been talking about starting a seperate beginners session from the normal one, but as yet nothing has materialised.

I'd really like to improve what I'm doing before any bad habits I may be forming are set in stone.

Strange you can be in a club and not have done a training course? (Just an impression I got from your post?) If not for insurance purposes?

If you have done initial training then it is up to other, better archers/initial trainer to help the new people... but I find reading up on the subject and youtube to be a great help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

What style of archery are you shooting? What club are you attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Eviemay

Target shooting with a recurve bow.
    Callipo wrote: »
    Strange you can be in a club and not have done a training course? (Just an impression I got from your post?) If not for insurance purposes?

If you have done initial training then it is up to other, better archers/initial trainer to help the new people... but I find reading up on the subject and youtube to be a great help also.

When we started we were shown the ropes the first night and the fellow archers will give occasional tips, they are a helpful bunch. But I'd like someone that has the time to stay with me to help me work on my technique. Since I started there's been a huge influx of newbies to the club. As we only shoot once a week the more experianced members would be hard pressed to offer such input to all the newbies and rightly have time to enjoy shooting themselves.

I've been reading up and watching vids as well. :) But would ideally like to get on a short course to help me improve. At the moment my shots are all over the place and rarely getting anything you could loosely refer to as a grouping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Check out the Performance Archery channel on YouTube. Some great tips and advice from a very well respected coach...

http://www.youtube.com/user/perfarch?ob=5

Sorry I can't help you with any courses but this book would be extremely useful even if you are not shooting instinctively.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Traditional-Archery-Sorrells/dp/0811731332

If you are consistent in your form your grouping should also be consistent. But don't aim to high (or rather too far) to begin with. Start at short distances, when they begin to improve, move further back from your target.
    Give it time and plenty of practise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

^^^Good advice..

Lardy wrote: »
    Check out the Performance Archery channel on YouTube. Some great tips and advice from a very well respected coach...

http://www.youtube.com/user/perfarch?ob=5

Thanks, will get a look at those later. :)
    Sligophoto wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help you with any courses but this book would be extremely useful even if you are not shooting instinctively.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Traditional-Archery-Sorrells/dp/0811731332

If you are consistent in your form your grouping should also be consistent. But don't aim to high (or rather too far) to begin with. Start at short distances, when they begin to improve, move further back from your target.
    Give it time and plenty of practise.

Will have to buy me one of those, thanks. :)
    Problem is I'm not consistent. I'm constantly changing and adjusting things that I think I'm doing wrong. The shorter targets at the club have all the newer newbies queuing up to use them, so I've been moved on to the further away targets. Though we have somewhere else that I could try to fit in some practise with closer targets to shoot at. Thanks for the tips.

Maybe try using a barebow for a while. Then you have only your form to concentrate on. This is the most important thing. When that has become consistent then complicate things with sights and stabilisers (if you feel a need to).

Sligophoto wrote: »
    Maybe try using a barebow for a while. Then you have only your form to concentrate on. This is the most important thing. When that has become consistent then complicate things with sights and stabilisers (if you feel a need to).

I shoot barebow anyway. ;) Problem is knowing what I need to change/improve to have good form.

Advertisement