Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Up for Winter

Options
  • 16-11-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to park up the campervan for the winter. I've the spot picked and the van is actually there now. However, I'm a bit behind schedule, and the hard stand isn't in yet (and unlikely this side of christmas). I've subsquently been told I shouldn't park up on grass, especially with a cover to go on, because of condensation/ moisture coming up from the grass.

I currently have the van on an old bit of carpet, to give a bit of grip for moving it. As a shortish term solution, if I put plastic under this carpet would it block enough of the moisture coming up from the grass? Just looking for opinions really.

While I do have some drive space available, the spot it's in is more protected from the wind and would be more out of sight from any passing scrots. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to park up the campervan for the winter. I've the spot picked and the van is actually there now. However, I'm a bit behind schedule, and the hard stand isn't in yet (and unlikely this side of christmas). I've subsquently been told I shouldn't park up on grass, especially with a cover to go on, because of condensation/ moisture coming up from the grass.

I currently have the van on an old bit of carpet, to give a bit of grip for moving it. As a shortish term solution, if I put plastic under this carpet would it block enough of the moisture coming up from the grass? Just looking for opinions really.

While I do have some drive space available, the spot it's in is more protected from the wind and would be more out of sight from any passing scrots. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Unless you suspect it might be a bit leaky I wouldn't bother covering it. Being exposed to the wind will keep it aired and dry (unless it's raining) and condensation will not be a problem or chaffing during strong winds.
    There are products which can be applied to minimise dirt/algae build up over the winter and others which will bring back the shine in the spring.
    FWIW, I have never considered covering mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Plastic could stop water from draining away as well. I'd make sure the grass is well drained, and has plenty of air circulation so that it drys, then I'd go to aldi or lidl and get a few chemical dehumidifers and keep an eye on them - my 2C worth.

Wax oiling the under side of the can would also be a plus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thanks guys. After reading up a bit, I think I'll be leaving it on the drive. It's a T2, and the advice appears to be cover or shed it. Never got the shed built - to busy using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I don't advise covering , we find with our classic cars they seem to "sweat" under the covers , and T2s are famous for anti corrosion abilities.... Get some dishwasher salt , and leave a couple of bowls of it in the van , they'll absorb moisture .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 alexfernie

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Get some dishwasher salt , and leave a couple of bowls of it in the van , they'll absorb moisture .

You're full of good ideas!

• Advertisement
Advertisement