Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distribution panel

Options
  • 16-11-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi
    I had a check around the internet and the forum but having trouble finding the info I need.
    Basically I have purchased the relay and second battery, I understand the concept of how this setup works but not to sure what the next stage should be ie cabling from the relay to my internal lights.
    I do not require anything fancy just want to run a 12v strip light and maybe wire in an inverter for charging phones and a laptop occassionally.

Do I have to buy a distribution panel or is there a simpler cheaper option.

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else.

cheers
    Craig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

chealy74 wrote: »
    Hi
    I had a check around the internet and the forum but having trouble finding the info I need.
    Basically I have purchased the relay and second battery, I understand the concept of how this setup works but not to sure what the next stage should be ie cabling from the relay to my internal lights.
    I do not require anything fancy just want to run a 12v strip light and maybe wire in an inverter for charging phones and a laptop occassionally.

Do I have to buy a distribution panel or is there a simpler cheaper option.

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else.

cheers
    Craig

The relay goes between the starter battery (vehicle battery) and the second battery (habitation battery). Its purpose is to only connect the two when the alternator is charging to enable the habitation battery receive a charge, when the alternator stops charging the relay should 'drop out' thereby isolating the habitation battery from the vehicle battery so that the habitation stuff will not run down the vehicle battery and leave you stranded.
    All habitation equipment (lights, phone chargers, water pump, radio, tv, etc. etc.) should be connected directly to the habitation battery.
    A voltmeter should be connected into the habitation circuit so you can see the battery condition.
    AND, don't forget about the fuses.

In a nutshell it can be as basic as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chealy74

Thanks for replying, so all I need to do for my lights is connect my + and - directly to the + - of the battery with a couple of fuses for safety?
    If so cheers for the info..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks for replying, so all I need to do for my lights is connect my + and - directly to the + - of the battery with a couple of fuses for safety?
    If so cheers for the info..

Basically yes, but depending on how you want to control them etc.... will depend on how elaborate the wiring will be. Make sure you use fuses everywhere and use a split charge relay between the two batteries, controlled by the alternator.

Thats great so I only have to but a couple of mtrs of cable and a few fuses..

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thats great so I only have to but a couple of mtrs of cable and a few fuses..

cheers
    Make sure you use good heavy cable with low resistance, if the resistance is to high you will losse voltage and power in the cable. Over spec it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I would invest on a small fuse box. They are about fiver from your local auto factor. Then just run bunch of small cables from + pole of your leisure battery to the fuse box or one beefier one that branches close to the fuse box.

Kind of like this but not so messy :p :

Click

Just make sure there's a master fuse near the battery.

Thanks for the info on this will give it a try once I get everything together for the final push to finish the van.
    Would anybody know where I could get a cheap camping gaz container, one of the smaller ones I think their 2.5kg.

Also I will be rebuilding the kitchen cupboards so I can incorporate the cooker and sink, is it legally required that you can only access the gas canister externally? I was thinking to build a sealed unit with an external floor vent that could be accessed internally as don't really want to cut a small access door in the outer van.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks for the info on this will give it a try once I get everything together for the final push to finish the van.
    Would anybody know where I could get a cheap camping gaz container, one of the smaller ones I think their 2.5kg.

I've gotten three of the 2.75 kg ones from the bring center at ballyboden in dublin but any big bring center will probably get them from time to time. Then refils are 20 euros, I always carry two one in use and one full

Advertisement