Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stove not heating all Rads (is powerful enough) enought)

Options
  • 16-11-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having.

We recently installed a Stanley Reginald (15.8 Kw to boiler, 4Kw to Room, meant to heat 12 rads) and after a few mistakes from the installers (thermostat on the wrong side, so pump not getting kicking in) the stove is up and running. But....

We noticed that the rad in our sitting room is still cold, if not just slightly warm, while all of the other radiators were piping hot. Note when we turn on on oil heating all radiators are piping warm.

To outline the amount of radiators we have :
    Single: 4
    Double: 3
    Total: 10 (double counting as 2) (I'm not sure of the length of the rads, but none are crazy long)

What I have tried is:
    - Turning off some radiators down to 7 in total now.
    - Bleeding the sitting room rad, water spitting out straight away.
    - Heat the rads with the oil, then kick off the fire. This does keep it warmer for longer, but in comparison to other radiators it's defiantly cooling down quicker.
    - Lastly, bang on one helluva coal fire :)

Am I missing something with the above?

Any help would be great as we took out an old stove from the 70's that while ugly as hell was working, for the modern (expensive) thing not to heat them all :(

Thanks,
    SD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having.

We recently installed a Stanley Reginald (15.8 Kw to boiler, 4Kw to Room, meant to heat 12 rads) and after a few mistakes from the installers (thermostat on the wrong side, so pump not getting kicking in) the stove is up and running. But....

We noticed that the rad in our sitting room is still cold, if not just slightly warm, while all of the other radiators were piping hot. Note when we turn on on oil heating all radiators are piping warm.

To outline the amount of radiators we have :
    Single: 4
    Double: 3
    Total: 10 (double counting as 2) (I'm not sure of the length of the rads, but none are crazy long)

What I have tried is:
    - Turning off some radiators down to 7 in total now.
    - Bleeding the sitting room rad, water spitting out straight away.
    - Heat the rads with the oil, then kick off the fire. This does keep it warmer for longer, but in comparison to other radiators it's defiantly cooling down quicker.
    - Lastly, bang on one helluva coal fire :)

Am I missing something with the above?

Any help would be great as we took out an old stove from the 70's that while ugly as hell was working, for the modern (expensive) thing not to heat them all :(

Thanks,
    SD

If the other rads all heat fine then it sounds very much that the radiators are balanced for the oil central heating or because of the drain down sludge has built up in that rad?. If the installer has simply teed the boiler stove heating feeds into the existing radiator pipes it could then have less water flow through that rad in the lounge. You could try to open up the valve (under the white cap) more to allow greater flow. Make sure to only turn the very top of the oblong part under the white cap of it anticlockwise. If it's fully open then it's really best to get the plumber in to balance the system for both heating systems.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say:
    Stove Fan wrote: »
    You could try to open up the valve (under the white cap) more to allow greater flow.

Are you taking about the white cap I turn to, turn the rad on/off? Sorry it's embarresing how little I know.

I gave the installer a call and he said just try turning the pump up to two if it's not already at two. Not sure if they are brushing off or making sense.

Cheers,
    Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say:

Are you taking about the white cap I turn to, turn the rad on/off? Sorry it's embarresing how little I know.

I gave the installer a call and he said just try turning the pump up to two if it's not already at two. Not sure if they are brushing off or making sense.

Cheers,
    Niall

No, its the other one on the other side of the rad. It will more than likely white but a non turnable head until the cap is removed.

Turning the pump speed to 2 may help but anymore and the water may flow too fast through the boiler to transfer enough heat. Worth a try to see if it makes a difference. My own pump setting speed is on 2 for my boiler stove.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jesijoe

balancing problem
    get installer back to do it properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Hey all,

I have stove here that heats the rads just fine. My question is the knob on the side that goes 0,1,2,3,4 on the side at the back. What is this for exaclty? I turn it sometimes but I dont know what its doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

It could be air intake, remember the more air the more fule burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

both sides of the rad are the same. .

only one side needs shutting off to close the rad and not allow heat.

if like in my case, some of the rads had both sides off, ull need to make sure that all valves are open. .

so uncap the other side(other side meaning not the one with +or- white bit, or 0 1 2 3 4 5. ..) go to the other end. take off cap, and lefty loosey and righty tighty.. .

says u, whats open and whats closed. . i think left is open. . not 100%. . but what i am 100% about is that it will only take u two go's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Hey, The installer came out and re-balanced the rads and it was perfect. That is until I realized he had forgotten to turn back on one rad, so when I turned it back on the problem re-appeared. Either way, I'm happy that I will be able to balance the rest my self. Ha had said that all the valves were open all the way, so that was causing the problem.

Thanks for all the help, once I get this rad sorted once and for-all I'm going to be one happy man!!

Advertisement