Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Bublé turning on the Grafton Street lights???

Options
  • 15-11-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

So apparently Michael buble will be switching on the grafton street Christmas lights which will coincide with the brown Thomas Christmas display!! This Friday evening!

If it's true..... I'll be camping out from tonight!! Some things coming up online about it alright. And brown thomas confirmed an international star. Can anyone else confirm?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do they turn the lights on from outside Brown Thomas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Apparently it's true and it kicks off @6pm with Ryan Tubridy hosting (naturally :rolleyes:).I went into Dublin for the big switch on last year and it was an underwhelming affair so having a big name do it might boost numbers.
    BT can say what they like about their windows, they're not a patch on the old Switzers :( - we used to drive up every year to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Did Gordon D'arcy not already do this?

goose06 wrote: »

I had heard that the lights were on last week - didn't hear it was the big switch on. Last year it was done around the 21st so I just assumed it was the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

goose06 wrote: »

He did the Henry street ones last weekend ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

washiskin wrote: »
    Apparently it's true and it kicks off @6pm with Ryan Tubridy hosting (naturally :rolleyes:).I went into Dublin for the big switch on last year and it was an underwhelming affair so having a big name do it might boost numbers.
    BT can say what they like about their windows, they're not a patch on the old Switzers :( - we used to drive up every year to see them.

Agreed, i remember about 10 years ago some 'Morkeshing' bint from BT's was on Gerry Ryan's show saying that we as a nation have grown up and dont need all these 'kiddie' window displays any more and that we need a more mature chistmas-themed window.

Sorry but that's a pile of manure! First time i ever remember actually roaring abuse at a car radio! :o Fellow motorists must have thought i was a headcase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I used to absolutely adore the Switzers windows, I remember BTs keeping up the theme for a few years.. I have to say though, I do think their window displays are beautiful, just so decadent, filled with glittering jewels and hundreds of wintery woodland creatures!!

The year before last Arnotts had great windows, not been down there in a couple of weeks to check them out.

Re Bublé switching on the lights, I think it's pretty cool that they are trying to make an event out of it and if I was not going to be in work I would probably go. I hope they do it properly and have him sing a few songs, like when the London lights are switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Its trending on Twitter, and some official websites have tweeted it, so it must be true!!

https://twitter.com/#!/VisitDublin

Ah im so jealous of anyone living in Dublin who can make it in to see it, too much of a trek from the midlands on a friday evening im afraid. :(

He's rumoured to be on the Late Late friday night too, so will have to get my fix there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm so jealous!! I wish I could go to see him!! He's very good to his irish fans isn't he?!

I was at his concert last year, so i cant complain really, but yes, he does seem to love the Irish. I had a few canadian friends when i lived abroad, and to be honest they are very like the irish, same sense of humour, they get sarcasm, unlike most americans, so maybe thats why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play to him.

Would turning on the Grafting Street lights not be very hard work though?

washiskin wrote: »
    DUBACC wrote: »
    Agreed, i remember about 10 years ago some 'Morkeshing' bint from BT's was on Gerry Ryan's show saying that we as a nation have grown up and dont need all these 'kiddie' window displays any more and that we need a more mature christmas-themed window.

I used to LOVE Switzers!! :D

And, what the hell?! "We as a nation have grown up?" Eh, have their been no births in Ireland since the nineties? There are still children, you know, Brown Thomas!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Posy wrote: »
    I used to LOVE Switzers!! :D

And, what the hell?! "We as a nation have grown up?" Eh, have their been no births in Ireland since the nineties? There are still children, you know, Brown Thomas!! :rolleyes:
    I remember years ago when my sister was on panto in the Gaiety & walking up Grafton street when it was dark to collect her,it was magical looking in the window,these people forget that they were children once & what it is like for them at Christmas

delw wrote: »
    I remember years ago when my sister was on panto in the Gaiety & walking up Grafton street when it was dark to collect her,it was magical looking in the window,these people forget that they were children once & what it is like for them at Christmas

I think it's kinda sad when you think that kids in the future won't have somethng like Switzers window to remember, that "Tradition" seems to be a dirty word to retailers these days. :(

Anyway, who's going into town to see the switch on?

I work right beside Grafton Street so I'll be going to watch anyway after work!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Got this in an email this evening from Brown Thomas.
    Join Michael Bublé on the red carpet at Brown Thomas Dublin, tomorrow, Friday 18th November at 6pm for an amazing countdown to Christmas!

Multi Platinum selling superstar Michael Bublé will 'officially kickstart' Christmas with the unveiling of the Brown Thomas iconic Christmas windows and theswitching on of the Grafton street lights.

See you on Grafton street OR watch it 'Live Streamed' on www.brownthomas.com from 6pm.

The Michael Bublé 'Christmas' deluxe edition with 3 bonus tracks and DVD is on sale exclusively in all Brown Thomas and BT2 stores.

Is there any chance of someone perhaps changing the thread title so it says 'Grafton Street' if it's not too much trouble? :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im looking at the children in need concert and bubbles is on , have to say it looks like he's put on weight:eek: chubby neck on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I work right beside Grafton Street so I'll be going to watch anyway after work!! :D
    Wonder if we ever pass each other, I work behind Stephen's Green shopping centre!
    Is there any chance of someone perhaps changing the thread title so it says 'Grafton Street' if it's not too much trouble? :o
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Sorry!! My phone keeps changing the spelling and it wouldn't let me edit the title!!

• Advertisement

Haha. Mine does that too, damn phones!
    Grafton street today is already very busy, with security barriers etc around Brown Thomas in preparation for this evening. Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Aww, someone take photos!! I would have loved to have gone! Stupid work...

Who does my boss think he is, not letting me take the afternoon off to watch Michael Buble! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I JUST found out that he's turning the lights on. Absolutely raging, would have gone if I knew sooner :( Too much of a trek from Sligo to get through Dublin traffic at this rate :(

Dont forget he's on the Late Late show later, and the brown thomas website are streaming it at 6pm, for all of us outside the Pale. ;)

Well the live streaming was a load of sh1t! Didnt work! :mad: Loads of people are complaining on BT's facebook page. What a letdown! :(

Being there was a let down too, to be honest.. it was so crowded that you couldn't see anything much and there were thousands of school age girls screaming and pushing the crowd.
    And the lights were switched on at about ten to six so a lot of people missed them. It was so packed it was no fun really. :(

Being there was a let down too, to be honest.. it was so crowded that you couldn't see anything much and there were thousands of school age girls screaming and pushing the crowd.
    And the lights were switched on at about ten to six so a lot of people missed them. It was so packed it was no fun really. :(

Awww, sorry it was a let down. Hope you were ok....

Ah yeah.. but a lot of people had small children/babies/prams with them in a packed crowd! Someone near me had a buggy that people just kept bashing into and nearly knocking over! :eek:

But how amazing was he on the Late Late!!! :D:D God i love that man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

A V A wrote: »
    im looking at the children in need concert and bubbles is on , have to say it looks like he's put on weight:eek: chubby neck on him

YES!! I said the same thing when I saw him this eve, still damn cute though ;)

Advertisement