Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt - Mid December

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of taking the girlfriend to Frankfurt for 4 days in the middle of December. I have been told the Christmas market is a must. Can anyone recommend anything else to do there? Is it an expensive city?

Thanks in advance!:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Hi,

This might be too late to be of any use at this stage, but I was in Frankfurt last weekend and thought I'd share my experiences with you if you're still thinking of going.

First thing, and probably an obvious one - don't fly into Frankfurt-Hahn. It's 1 hour and 45 minutes from the city, costs €13 per person each way, and is just an inconvenience; pay a few bob extra and fly Aer Lingus to the proper airport.

We (my girlfriend and I) stayed in the Adina Apartments. They were absolutely top class - floor to ceiling windows with a great view over the Frankfurt skyline, very modern, lovely staff, perfect location (about 10 minutes stroll from the Christmas market).

We were only there for 2 nights so we didn't have much time, but the market could easily take up a couple of full days, if you like to take a break from the crowd every now and again by popping your head into little German taverns and having a beer or some mulled wine. The market is brilliant, especially at night; the atmosphere is special, something you just don't seem to get at Irish markets. It really is a great way to spend a few hours.

Aside from the market, there are some excellent restaurants in the general area of Goethestrasse (we found a lovely, bustling Italian on a sidestreet one of the evenings, but unfortunately I can't recall the name of it) and the main shopping centre has a gorgeous restaurant/bar on the roof where you can look out over the city while sitting at the tables and wrapped in the blankets they provide. Very good value too (2 large beers for €6, which is quite good for Frankfurt).

If there's anything in particular you'd like to know, feel free to send me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Was in Frankfurt last weekend as my friend lives there, so here goes..

As already said the christmas market is a must! it closes at nine though so i suggest going about 6 or so. The atmosphere is great and so is the food & drink. Its not overly expensive either.

The shopping centre is at the top end of the market in the pedestrianised area. It has some good shopping.

Sachsenhausen is the party end of Frankfurt if thats what you are looking for. This area:
    http://maps.google.ie/maps/myplaces?ll=50.105122,8.691435&spn=0.003052,0.006968&vpsrc=6&ctz=0&t=m&z=18

A must visit is to one of the Applewine houses on Schweizer Straße. One of them is owned by an irishman i think but personally id recommend Adolf Wagners. http://www.apfelwein-wagner.com/htdocs/english/index_d.htm Seating here is long tables with benches so you will be sitting here with other people. Go early or wait for a table.
    Order a jug of applewine and then the waiter will ask if you want it sweet or sour. For sweet they give you a bottle of fanta orange to mix with it and for sour they give you fizzy water.
    Edit: You can eat here too, massive plates of pork among other tasty food. Finish up you evening with Calvados with an apricot in it!

There is a whole row of museums on the south bank of the river, depending on your interests there should be one or two for you to visit.

You can go up the Maine Tower and get a good view over the whole city. Its worth a look and doesnt cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

Thanks allot guys I am leaving tomorrow til Monday at least now I will know what to do for a few days when I am there. Very much appreciated!

Advertisement