Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sit Down, Shut Up and Listen

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So in the way of a little "survey" (and an eye catching title) I was wondering when the last time anyone here really sat down and listened to an album or an extended piece of music.

We talk a lot about music here, a lot of us are very passionate about what we know and love, and sometimes (guilty as charged) very negative about what we don't - but today I lay down on my bed and listened to the Queen album Deep Cuts 2 and it's not a bad compilation, but the point was that it's been a long time since I've really sat down and listened to some music without distraction (out walking, on the train from work*, in the studio or driving the car etc).

You don't need me to tell you life is stressful. Maybe find some time to do this, this week, and take 30/60 minutes to really sit back and listen.

So, tell me, when is the last time you really sat down and listened to an album or an extended playlist - and what was it - did it make you appreciate the music anymore giving it your full attention or just being able to switch off from life for 60 minutes and remember the memories that those songs might have evoked?

*a train from work like in rush hour, as opposed to on a commuter journey where you just sit back and have nothing else to do for a few hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭xtradel

For me its usually on the computer when i get to listen to any music which means the skip or random button is too easily accessible....last album i sat down and dedicated time to was Iron Maidens last studio offering The Final Frontier....but only because i'm a huge fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

I recently spent one night siting on my sofa, throwing more and more logs into the fireplace and listening to King Diamond: The Graveyard, Them, Abigail, Voodoo... I wasn't doing anything else, but listened to the sound. No reading, watching, Internet - just me and music. It's a real magic.

I am about to order new pair of speakers for my Marantz, more nights of music await! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

last time I remember sitting down and listening attentively was when I got Megadeth's Rust In Peace record and just staring at the record player and listening to Marty Friedman's every note... that was around the same time or shortly afterwards, that I got a CD player.... after that it wasn't the same - I didn't have to worry about being close to the record player when the needle would go @rseways on my newly purchased album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I always mean to sit down properly with a new album to really get in to it, but it ends up being my escape from my morning commute theme tune(s).

The recent one to really blow me away and make me escape was this album. It's spectacular.

Also thread title reminds me of that "rocker" in California Dreams when he got his own radio show in the school and called it "shut up and listen". I remember weird sh!t. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've recently started a job in Zurich which means a 2 hour flight - at least an hour of which is uninterrupted - so I've been re-listening to albums I've not given much time to in a while. I've done a few early Queen and ELO albums so far, and am thinking of what to play on my flight home this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I totally went to Jake in California Dreams too. He was dreamy...

Anywho, the Cure's 'Disintegration' and any album by Tool always get my undivided attention or else I get itchy. I've gotten better past the OCD thing that I could not stop a Tool disc once it was playing, but it still scratches at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

When I got Queen's "A Night At the Opera" and DSOTM in 5.1 a while back I just sat in the living room listening. Was great TBH, can't remember when I did that last. If you don't have these already definitely get them, especially A Night At the Opera. Sounds phenomenal across the 6 channels. So much detail and nuances come to light, truly epic stuff.

Thanks for reminding me to do it again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I was listening to Rush's 2112 the other night. Theres definitely something to be said for actually taking the time to really listen to an album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Last album I sat down to listen to was 2112 by Rush, absolutely amazing album! I also sat down to listen to Crack the Skye by mastodon a few weeks ago without being stoned off my arse and it was just as enjoyable and thought provoking. Its a great feeling just being able to turn off your mind completely and stare into space while letting your ears be your only active input from the world.

Not sure what i'll listen to next properly, any suggestions by anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Anything by Tool.

A more off-the-wall suggestion from me would be 'Youthanasia' by Megadeth, always thought it had a great flow from start to finish. A more sane suggestion would be 'Filth Pig' by Ministry, rewarding in its bleakness before 'Lay Lady Lay' wanders in and makes the world okay again.

Hey hey, prolli not the spot for the discussion but any old hands I'm sure will appreciate the necessity of side A / B for a rewarding full album listen. Great albums would have play like two sets with a natural flow to the end of one and kick off again with the next. Can't be just me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Not sure what i'll listen to next properly, any suggestions by anyone?

Conjure and Command by Toxic Holocaust, takes 33 minutes, and whether people want to admit it or not this is the answer to this generation's Reign In Blood (and yes, I did say that, and I stand by it)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,179 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Listened to 'Love It To Death' by Alice Cooper last night - kept thinking of Rolf Harris during the final song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I used to give all my albums my undivided attention when I was in my teens. But ever since I got a laptop and have music available on it it's ruined it for me slightly. I never seem to make time to sit back and just enjoy an album. I listen to a good bit of music when I'm on the computer but it's not the same. I think we're all guilty of not paying full attention, eg we're browsing Boards!

I have definitely noticed it though. As I don't know more recent albums I've heard as well as older ones. And not just because I've heard them less, but because I haven't sat down and just absorbed them.

The last thing I really sat down to enjoy was Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize Blu Ray. I have a nice 5.1 headset and just came in from college, stuck it on and just sat there with my eyes closed listening to the whole thing. It was fantastic. Also highly recommend it! The HD audio on the Blu Ray is amazing, the detail of everything is spectacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SLK2005

Tuesday I put Harvest by Neil Young on the RECORD PLAYER, nice to remember your youth.

Advertisement