Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling health insurance

Options
  • 15-11-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭

I am considering cancelling this as I never make any use of it whatsoever. I know I know (you never know when you will need it). I was just wondering is it a matter or ringing them and filling out a form to cancel and then informing your pay section to stop payments. Also is there an exit fee or clause that you must give a certain period of notice first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Ring them and tell them you don't wish to renew when your next renewal falls due. Consider all your options; You may wish to move to a cheaper plan. Ask to see the Corporate plans which are cheaper and available to everyone.

You could also look at the Hospital Saturday Fund which provides a cash payout in case of illness, to cover bills.
    http://www.hsf.eu.com/ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

VHI will try to charge you a cancellation fee if not at renewal time.
    Quinn will let you cancel
    Aviva will let you cancel
    If you have paid upfront in advance and have had an inpatient claim, none of them will give you a refund.
    There are cheaper options and remember you can get back onboard within 13 weeks without having to reserve waiting periods.
    There is another post on this page where someone let their cover lapse and now have to pay for the oppo themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Cancelling cover is usually a case of sending a letter to the insurer and asking them to cancel/not renew your plan. Because you pay by salary deduction, it's probably no harm to ask someone in the pay section what they need to know to make sure nothing comes out after it's cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭billyhead

broker2008 wrote: »
    VHI will try to charge you a cancellation fee if not at renewal time.
    Quinn will let you cancel
    Aviva will let you cancel
    If you have paid upfront in advance and have had an inpatient claim, none of them will give you a refund.
    There are cheaper options and remember you can get back onboard within 13 weeks without having to reserve waiting periods.
    There is another post on this page where someone let their cover lapse and now have to pay for the oppo themselves.

How much is the cancelation fee. That seems a bit harsh for the loyalty shown if you were with them for nearly 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

billyhead wrote: »
    How much is the cancelation fee. That seems a bit harsh for the loyalty shown if you were with them for nearly 7 years

Cancellation fee is 50 euro and they also implement a charge in relation to the goverment levy based upon how far into the policy you are.

• Advertisement

Does the €50 exit charge apply no matter when you decide to cancel your policy i.e half way through or when its up for renewal again?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

And they allegedly will try to get you to pay for the rest of the outstanding premium too.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Quinn wont let you cancel if you have any kind of claim,
    VHI have cancellation fees to exit out of a 12 month contract, A contract is a contract after all and there are reasons why ya cant just cancel out of a contract!
    Its your own responsibility to read your information and rules books where these things are clearly stated!!!

Quinn wont let you cancel if you have any kind of claim,
    VHI have cancellation fees to exit out of a 12 month contract, A contract is a contract after all and there are reasons why ya cant just cancel out of a contract!
    Its your own responsibility to read your information and rules books where these things are clearly stated!!!

But can you cancel once a 12 month contract has ended without penalty i.e before renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes, there's no penalty for exiting after the 12 month contract

• Advertisement
Advertisement