Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonoscopy - What to Wear.

Options
  • 15-11-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Due one of these on Monday.

Letter says if you wear a tracksuit or tee shirt then changing clothes may be unnecessary.

Just wondering if I should wear underpants as well, or not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

yes wear them. they will give you a gown most likely. good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When I had mine I had to strip down to nothing at all and they gave me one of those backless gowns to put on, so I'd say it wouldn't matter what you wear. I can't see it saving any time one way or the other to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Just wear what you're going to be most comfortable in afterwards. It's no great hassle really.....the worst is the 'clear out' you have the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Ya theyll get you to change into the backless gown and then down for the anesthetic.
    You wont even know you had it done...
    As others have said, the day before is rough.. Its a long day fasting and 'clearing out'..

I would say drink plenty of water after youve had it done.
    You'll be seriously dehydrated..

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'd do the prep any day over having the scope again!!

Op, you'll be told to take everything off that you wear anyways and will be given a gown that will be backless because you will be lying on your side (usually the left) to have the scope passed. Do bring underpants for afterwards!! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Best of luck op, you'll be pretty much out of it during the procedure so dont worry.
    The most embarrassing/funny thing afterwards is going to the toilet, you'll let out the biggest, loudest fart of your life!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Just wear normal clothes they defo give ya a gown. It's not bad at all, I have had it done a few times, it's better than the scope down. G'luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks for the advice folks, had the clear out today and all quiet now since 7pm. Wasn't half as bad as I expected but glad that part is over.

I need food, glorious flood.... 'now' :D

We know how you feel! :D......well, some of us anyway....2 more years before I'm due to go again :eek::eek::eek:

Report for anyone that's interested:

I understood from boards and folk in work that had it done that a colonoscopy was an up and down job.

After discussing this point with the nurses I made a fool of myself and was told to don't mind the internet.

Anyway it was just an uphill job for me. All though I got 'some sedation'
    I felt as if I had got zero. I was conscious of everything that was said and going on and responding to requests like are you ok, turn on your other side etc and saw all the ins and outs of me bowels on the monitor.

I could sense/feel all the manipulation of the scope up and down and up and down again:D but no real discomfort except for a brief second here or there probably due to wind and the way they put pressure with their hands on my stomach to get a better result.

At the time and even now I'm kinda glad I wasn't completely out of it as I could tell them if it was really hurting me or not, which it didn't thankfully.

The Result: Got a 95% all clear and a follow up test to follow for a 'barium enema' xray to check the 5% out.

I didn't present with any 'major' problems as such so fingers crossed I might get out of this alive:D

thanks again for all your advice.

Will let you know the 'end' results......
    ooops sorry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Danjo, what do u mean an up and down job? If you mean a test into the bowel and stomach then no, a test into the stomach is different and called an OGD. However the sensation could have left you feeling like the scope was at the stomach because remember the colon starts on the left and goes up quite high before turning, and turning again to go down and then has to come back around! Hope this helps, and good luck with the barium!

Just had a follow on test, FL Barium Enema, and have a bit of hearing prob but think I was told Doctor would have report in 2 days.

Is this a report back to the doctor I was first under when having the colonoscopy who then prescribed the Barium Enema.

If so will he then write to me or call me in to talk

or will he just send report to GP and then I see him.

:confused:

I had mine, nearly two years ago. I was told on the day that everything was ok and that a report would be going to my doctor. G.P. rang me, several days later, and gave me the same story. I'm due back for another 'session' in another 3 years.

I'm presuming, for more serious outcomes, that one would have to sit down with their G.P. and, obviously, for issues that need to be dealt with, their consultant.

Wrt your own case, don't be worrying yourself unduly at this stage: "What if...?" is an awful burden and, more often than not, doesn't come to pass.

Given your hearing issues, it may be best, if your G.P. rings you to ask to see him, or else to have him repeat it to someone else, to make sure that you get the story fully and correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Just had a follow on test, FL Barium Enema, and have a bit of hearing prob but think I was told Doctor would have report in 2 days.

Is this a report back to the doctor I was first under when having the colonoscopy who then prescribed the Barium Enema.

If so will he then write to me or call me in to talk

or will he just send report to GP and then I see him.

:confused:

I always just call the original doc's secretary (ie the one who referred you for the BE) and they will tell you where and when to get the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I'm having a top and tail job Tuesday ......this is my 6th in 15yrs......have never remembered the procedure....

Advertisement