Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A gaming laptop for 900-100 euro?!?!

Options
  • 15-11-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Okay so iv found this deal for a laptop which I think is pretty good, but before i place my order id like to ask anyone who is more tech savvy than me to inspect the specs and price and tell me if its too good to be true or just plain standard!!

Specs and Price:
    Brand: Asus
    Screen: 15.6" LED-Backlit TFT - (1920 x 1080) Full HD

Processor: 2nd generation Intel Corei7-2670QM/2.2GHz
    /Boost 3.1GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 SODIMM

Hard Drive: 750GB - 7200rpm

Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 VRAM

Webcam: HD Webcam

Cost: 900 euro.

Iv done a LOT of shopping about for a laptop and this is the best deal iv found so far! but any input would be helpful! Thanks in advance for any replies!

Scobish :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looks pritty ok to me, and Asus are a decent brand. You can see that GPU benchmarks here but looks good at <€1000. You won't be able to max out allot of newer games, but then again for maxing out graphics a desktop is an obvious choice but for mobile gaming that looks decent!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scobish

Thanks for the link Nick.

Seems to start gettting any serious performance id need to splash out for much better GPU and that would shatter my budget! I think this will do nicly for my needs - Programming and some some sc2 lan parties with my mates!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

scobish wrote: »
    Thanks for the link Nick.

Seems to start gettting any serious performance id need to splash out for much better GPU and that would shatter my budget! I think this will do nicly for my needs - Programming and some some sc2 lan parties with my mates!

You'd be fine with that machine, Paying thousands for a gaming laptop is silly as GPUs go out of date very quickly. I baight a GTX 260 around 2 years ago, was a beast at the time (not the top) and that laptop mobile GPU would probably beat it now, for under a grand that looks like a decent spec though!
    Also bear in mind you cant update laptop GPUs like desktop ones, most are not user replaceable

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I just bought a Dell XPS 17 that is almost identical to that Asus for €883.

Same CPU, same GPU, biggest difference is I got a 17" screen @1600x900
    XPS has two HDD bays(space for a shiny new SSD soon, hopefully)
    and I got a backlight keyboard.
    But I only got 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD.

Got the laptop last night and to test it out I installed Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
    Put the settings at max with x16 AA & AF and it ran it at 25-30fps which was playable.
    If I was actually to play the game I would probably turn down the settings a little bit, maybe turn off AA and AF to get smoother game play but I was suitably impressed by it.
    It won't max out Battlefield 3 but should play almost all current games on Max or close to max settings.
    Great laptop, all I need now is an SSD :D

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ is a great resource, should have a review of the laptop your looking at and the CPU and GPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scobish

Good to know that your laptop can run BF:BC 2 at those seetings - ill deffinetly be installing it on mine! Good luck with your laptop! May it run for years to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

scobish wrote: »
    Good to know that your laptop can run BF:BC 2 at those seetings - ill deffinetly be installing it on mine! Good luck with your laptop! May it run for years to come!

Scobish
    And the same to you fine sir :)

For me the real test will be Skyrim, hopefully it will max it out too, can't wait :D

Advertisement