Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Parvo injection?

Options
  • 15-11-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I missed my pups second Parvo injection but I am getting it done today. I originally couldnt go because the car broke down and all my money and more went into fixing that, then with work I had not got spare time to get back to the vets. The injection is now 3 weeks late but I am going today.

Ok thats the story, now vet says she needs be started off again on her 1st injection again, is this bs or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah we had the same when we got our guy. We didn't have the vaccination card when we went for the second one so the vet started over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I have her card with the old injections on it. I'm just thinking that they are taking the mick and want to take more money from me than is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

not 100%sure of the time scale but i do know if it goes over you do need to start the vax again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

The jury is still out on time scale. Ask 4 vets and you will get four different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I just dont get this "time scale" at all, after the second injection you can wait a full 6 months, then at age 1 you get the last injection.... what harm is a few weeks more between injections..

I'm definitely going to ask them anyway and if i'm not happy with their answer I will be telling them to give her the second injection and not to start over again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TBH I would just get it done. I'd never forgive myself if the pup got parvo for the sake of getting an injection done again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I would say you'd have to start again, but no harm in actually phoning a few vets just to see what they say.

I know of a pup that was only half vaccinated and the owners didn't bother getting the second a few weeks later the pup got a mild form a parvo and was very sick you can't leave it long between each shot. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've never come across a situation where you get 2 parvo vaccinations, breeders will usually vaccinate against parvo at 6 weeks, then start the 5 or 7-in-1 at 8 weeks, with the second booster to that 2 weeks later. You have 4 weeks from the date of the first of the 5 or 7-in-1 to get it done. If you go over that, you have to start again, it is a booster to the first injection.

Sorry but I've also not heard about having another one done 6 months later, you do have to get it done 1 year later, which is actually still part of the initial vaccination programme.

Is it the 5 or 7-in-1 that you missed, and not just parvo?

If you've gone 3 weeks over the 2 week after appointment, that is 5 weeks after the initial jab, so you do need to get it done from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My dog got parvo as a pup. You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. Your dog shrivels to a skeleton, is withered like a flat plastic bag with tiny dead eyes, and lies on the floor like a rag; sick both ends. You need to get the first injection again.
    Sorry about that.

Advertisement