Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vespa Model Identity!!

Options
  • 15-11-2011 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of help

I recently bought an old vespa in need of repair for someone to restore.

I took it home and started to look for a chassis number but to no avail. I found the engine number ok though. *VSE1M 0030142* and according to www.scooterhelp.com that engine is from a 1976 rally 200.

After looking at the frame of the rally 200 the frame I have is a lot different.

From what I've seen it seems that it is a Vespa p200 but I could be wrong

(I dont know the first thing about this, I'm simply relying on the good auld google and the lovely people on boards.ie)

I'm just wondering as I'd love to get him the owners manual for that specific model and also it would help him find parts for it.
    I can just make out the reg no. from the rusty faded tax disc on it, but its a pre-1987 reg and I have no clue as to how to read the year from that
    (753 WZU)

Here's a photo,

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

R.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Hi there. PX mk1 frame (the leg shields should be wider - they've been cut down). The earlier models like the rally didn't have the removable horn cast on the front.

The kickstart looks like a PX - so i'd be guessing this is actually a PX engine.

It's possible to fit a rally engine in a PX - never really seen it done. Though it looks pretty bodgetacular since the choke cable and fuel tap are missing.

the frame number should be to the back of the engine to the rear of the legshield clip - iirc. You'll may need sandpaper since it's stamped into the pressed steel frame.

if you get a snap of the fuel tank under the saddle from behind and the engine from behind I should be able to tell you more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi there. PX mk1 frame (the leg shields should be wider - they've been cut down). The earlier models like the rally didn't have the removable horn cast on the front.

The kickstart looks like a PX - so i'd be guessing this is actually a PX engine.

It's possible to fit a rally engine in a PX - never really seen it done. Though it looks pretty bodgetacular since the choke cable and fuel tap are missing.

the frame number should be to the back of the engine to the rear of the legshield clip - iirc. You'll may need sandpaper since it's stamped into the pressed steel frame.

if you get a snap of the fuel tank under the saddle from behind and the engine from behind I should be able to tell you more

My SO who knows these things, says the engine is misleading you. - it's not of the same era as the frame....she's saying you have a PX frame, or its a P200E .....I never argue with her....she's always right.....:-)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I don't know if this is of any help, I recently got a 200cc myself as a long term project. I brought it into scooter island who identifed it as a PX, but they said to me in terms of parts etc, that the P200, P200E and the PX are basically the same. I don't know if that is totally correct but that is what I have been told so far.

Congrats on getting it, as already stated it has been cut down, I could be wrong and I can't say why; but if I was asked what type it was I would go with a rally, but as I said I can't stand over that. Could you bring a pic into Scooter Isalnd and ask them?

Can I ask have you any particular plans for it at the moment; I have a very solid plan on what way I want mine, but cash flow issues will mean that it will be a year or two before that plan is completed. Also do you mine me asking what you paid for it.

Anyeay best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

If you have a Rally 200 Electronic engine you've a sought after engine as they're rare enough, AFAIK the Rally 200 was the fastest production-built Vespa (with manual gears), it certainly looks like an early PX frame though.
    It would be unusual for someone to put a Rally engine into a PX frame, usually it's the other way around as PX engines are easy to come across, the reg number is mid to late 1982, I'm not sure of the exact month, best of luck with the restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Odysseus - do you mean the engine or frame is a Rally? It's definitely a PX frame - since the wide frames before this had a much neater integrated horncast rather than the plastic one we see here.

OP - good luck fixing it up and I hope you didn't pay too much - it might be worthwhile joining a scooter specific forum too like http://scooteire.3.forumer.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i nearly bought that a week and a half ago, its a vespa p200 thats been cut down, had i of known it was a rally engine i would of, grand project you have there, just dont expect to be able to restore the vespa. your frame number was on a section of bodywork that has been cut off, just incase you go looking for it.

ive built a few vespas, and a few more engines, if you need a hand with anything feel free to PM me, or if your anywhere near wexford i dont mind meeting up to give you a hand with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hoppy

i used own this about 10 years ago i would love ot buy it back if its still available

Advertisement