Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocktail help

Options
  • 15-11-2011 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Running a reunion soon for a group I am involved with. We have decided on a limited cocktail menu for the night.

Mojitos are all the rage at the moment so they will be on the menu but can you suggest 3-4 other "popular" cocktails?

Also wondering has anyone seen plastic cocktail glasses anywhere around Dublin?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hi All,

Running a reunion soon for a group I am involved with. We have decided on a limited cocktail menu for the night.

Mojitos are all the rage at the moment so they will be on the menu but can you suggest 3-4 other "popular" cocktails?

Also wondering has anyone seen plastic cocktail glasses anywhere around Dublin?

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend a cosmopolitan [vodka, cranberry juice, cointreau] for people who like something tasty but not too strong. A good dry martini (2 parts gin, 1 part dry martini) is ideal for people who want a bit of bite, while an espresso martini (vokda, khalua, creme de cacao and espresso) is lovely if you're feeling ambitious.

Don't know about plastic glasses but I had a right old search for martini glasses in Dublin over the last few months. Ikea did perfectly good ones for €2 each last time I was out there, while I just picked up 6 for €18 in Meadows & Byrne DL the other week. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The Cosmo is vodka, cointreau, cranberry and a squeeze of lime juice. Sex on the Beach always goes down well and is so simple, vodka 3cl, peach schnapps 2cl, oj and cranberry. Raspberry Tom Collins are delicious, throw 4-5 raspberries into the bottom of the glass, crush them up, shake 5cl gin, a good squeeze of lemon juice and pour over ice and crushed raspberries and top up with soda.
    A Captains Cobbler is captain morgens spiced rum 3cl, peach scnhapps 2cl shaken together and topped up with ginger ale (a squeeze of lime or something would work well), and maybe a Whiskey Sour, 5cl Bourbon shaken with a big squeeze of lemon a big squeeze of lime and some sugar syrup (to taste) over crushed ice. Along with your mojitos you'll have every popular spirit covered, a good mix of long drinks and short drinks. Just make sure you have ALOT of ice, thats the trick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

For the Cosmopolitan, use triple sec, not cointreau, as it's cheaper.

Spiced Mojitos are nice - Spiced Morgans, lime, mint and ginger beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thanks for input all. :)

was down in supervalue killester earlier, they had plastic martini glasses aswell as some other types, didnt see a price on them though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Maybe it's not something you want to do, but I've always enjoyed having a variety of spirits and mixers at a table and printing out a list of cocktails and the ingredients that go in them printed out and put on the table beside it. Gives people more variety and it can be fun mixing up your own cocktails.

If not, I'd go with some of the following:

Daiquiri
    Margarita
    Cosmo
    Martini

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Forget the martinis for a party. They're very strong and since most people aren't used to drinking them they're likely to get far drunker far faster than the rest of the group.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Forget the martinis for a party. They're very strong and since most people aren't used to drinking them they're likely to get far drunker far faster than the rest of the group.

+1 on that, a good way of doing it is just put 3cl of your base spirit and 2cl of your liquer in everything and give it a good shake (at least 10 secounds), there still stronger then a standard drink but no matter what your drinking everyones getting more or less the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

manhatton
    burbon, martini rosso, angistoro bitters, mascherino cherry

please excuse spelling

Advertisement