Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup iTunes before wipe

Options
  • 15-11-2011 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

What would be the best way to backup ones music collection in iTunes prior to wiping the machine for a reinstall?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What would be the best way to backup ones music collection in iTunes prior to wiping the machine for a reinstall?

Afaik backing up the Itunes folder in the default Windows Music Dir (E.g: Users/Yourname/Music on vista/7, Docs & Settings/Yourname/My Music) is all you need to do. For music you bought in Itunes once you login to Itunes it should play. Then again Itunes is a load of steaming sh!te so it may not work out 100% to plan (even though it should).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    Itunes is a load of steaming sh!te so it may not work out 100% to plan (even though it should).
    Nick

Agree 100% with you there Nick ;)

I'll have a look when I get my hands on the machine. Thanks :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've done this before as per yoyo's method and it worked fine with music and movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What I do to make sure is I select all files in the library right click and consolidate files (that should copy any files from different folders into the My Music/itunes folder).

I always drop the folder my music into the itunes library window (only after I have gone into the advanced options and selected keep my music organised and copy files to itunes library are selected).

This doesn't import playlists though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

qwertz wrote: »

Cheers qwertz,

It was helpful as it should the procedure for restoring your backup too :)

Advertisement