Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howling all the time...

Options
  • 14-11-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

My dog is 9 months old. He is a husky lab cross. I know huskies are howlers but is there any thing that can help keep it under control abit. I take him for a 30 min walk at 730 then he goes out the back untill about 9 while i get kids ready and off to school. He howls the entire time. I let him back in and he stays in untill 11 then i put him back out while i go to work.

He howls the whole time my neighbour told me. I am home by 3 and take him for a second walk he stays in then until 6 ish i put him back out while we have diner he howls again.

He stays in then until bed time, thankfully he is quiet at night he sleeps in his cage no howling.

Any ideas what could help while im in work. He has a boomer ball and one of thoses toys u fill with treats but its obviously not enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

danois wrote: »
    My dog is 9 months old. He is a husky lab cross. I know huskies are howlers but is there any thing that can help keep it under control abit. I take him for a 30 min walk at 730 then he goes out the back untill about 9 while i get kids ready and off to school. He howls the entire time. I let him back in and he stays in untill 11 then i put him back out while i go to work.

He howls the whole time my neighbour told me. I am home by 3 and take him for a second walk he stays in then until 6 ish i put him back out while we have diner he howls again.

He stays in then until bed time, thankfully he is quiet at night he sleeps in his cage no howling.

Any ideas what could help while im in work. He has a boomer ball and one of thoses toys u fill with treats but its obviously not enough.

Sounds like boredom, I have seen it before, you say he only howls when out back, makes sense....he wants to be in the house with people. Best advice I can give is every other day try to give him an hour or two walk and see if the howling stops for that day, I am sure it will, other wise keep him in the house when you are out so the neighbours dont get mad and maybe buy a KONG and stuff it with something smell like hotdog or peanut butter, it will keep him busy for a few hours, I have been there before and it is not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Is there a reason he can't stay in the house all the time?
    You mention that he is allowed into the house at certain times but not all the time, is there a reason for this?

I only say this because my SBT/JRT goes nuts when left outside - but she is fine in the house or when she is outside with the door open.

When I first found out that she doesn't like to be left outside, I didn't know what to do. I felt that it was in some way cruel to force her to stay indoors when I was away. But in the end I realized that I was being stupid. She is happy indoors alone but not outdoors alone, so why should I feel bad leaving her where she is most comfortable!

It took some time to ensure that anything she might destroy is not left in the room, and everyday she gets a kong, sometimes a frozen treat or a dental stick, and I usually hide some treats around for her to scavenge. This has worked out great for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

He goes out in the morning for an hour so i can get kids ready for school. Scrappy distracts them too much and it takes much longer. He is a chewer and if he is in on his own while i work id come home to destruction. I was told to leave him in his cage but i think 4 hours is too long would that not be cruel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

4 hours is the maximum time to leave a dog in a crate so you might get away with it he might get frustrated in there too though but the neighbours won't be tolerant for long perhaps try the crate out and see how you go. The crate might be a short term measure he should calm down as he gets older and realises you are coming back.

He's going to have to get used to being left alone at some point perhaps puppy proof one room and keep him in that one while you are gone and be prepared for some mayhem and distruction the first few times, it's not easy some dogs are more clingy than others and take longer to settle down and mature.

Would you consider doggy day care if there is a good one in your area? Might be worth it even a couple of times a week or even once a week to start with just until he grows up a little and grows out of the clingy stage then you could bring him to day care now and then instead, it is pricey but might be worth it in the long run.

I know what you mean about kids getting distracted tell them to go brush their teeth and 10 minutes later they're still sitting on the floor cuddling the dog lol every morning it's the same rigmarole here so I've started to get up earlier (which is torture, hate mornings as it is) so there is time for some cuddle time doesn't always work though lol.

I know it's a pain but if the dog is kept in when the kids are getting ready after week or two it won't be as big a novelty for the kids and they'll just give him a quick cuddle before school..maybe lol

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I have a 11 month Husky and he howls when he feels like it. Not out off boredom as he gets jogged/walked/cycled (mixed around) twice daily. If hes bored he digs holes in the garden :) even if he has 100s of chewy toys and kongs

When we got him first he used to bark and howl when we used to put him out but he eventually learned that if he stops he will be let in. Just took a lot of patience and positive rewarding

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice I think I will try keep him in in the mornings while getting the brats ready for school. He will still have to go out when we are having diner tho he will just keep jumping on the table if i keep him it is impossible.

I will try waiting until he is quiet to let him in maybe that will help. He is in most of the day and is walked twice a day its only about an hour while i get diner sorted and 4 hours while i work and thats only 3 days a week.

I have a kong toy for him and he seems to get all the food out in minutes is there one made especially for very clever huskies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Two words for you "Crate Training" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If uour dig is bored, lonely and frustrated I don't think locking it up in a crate for hours will do any favours... Your neighbours will only probably be patient for so long. They say brain games tire them out quickest !!! Best of luck!!!

He is Crate trained he sleeps in his crate and would wander in and out of it all day but i think it would be cruel to leave him in a crate for 4 hours in the day time he is a big dog he needs his space

If uour dig is bored, lonely and frustrated I don't think locking it up in a crate for hours will do any favours... Your neighbours will only probably be patient for so long. They say brain games tire them out quickest !!! Best of luck!!!

What do you mean by brain games? only brain games i know are on the ds :D

• Advertisement

Haha! What's d's!? .. On the dogs side!? On the dark side!!!? Do share!!! : )

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nintendo DS - handheld games console

I dont mean locking it in a crate for hours. He said the dog tries to jump on the table while having dinner so a crate would help with this, also in the morning while getting kids ready for school, the dog can go into the crate for a bit while this is happening.

danois wrote: »
    He is Crate trained he sleeps in his crate and would wander in and out of it all day but i think it would be cruel to leave him in a crate for 4 hours in the day time he is a big dog he needs his space
    Nothing wrong with leaving a dog in its crate for a few hours if needs be. Once the dog is getting enough exercise it will enjoy chilling out and sleeping too, they dont need to be on the go the whole time. Dog so like relaxing and sleeping as well. This is why a crate comes in handy.

Agreed, but the issue is that the dog isnt getting enough stimulation & is howling

Hi!re your dog howling! I'm not sure where you're based, but maybe you could negotiate with someone who does a doggy day care to have her in for a few hours a day; being around other dogs might take the edge off her loneliness & tire her out a bit. At nine months this shouldnt ( as you know!!poor you) be going on. I have a huge high energy dog & I left her in & it really helped; she plays with other dogs, gets tired out, etc & she howls as were driving up the road with excitement to get in therE!!!
    You might find someone with another dog Of similar energy levels or size who you could arrange dog-dates with!!!you could meet up in a park with & the dogs could bounce around & run off some energy; might help!!!!
    BTW for a full day I pay e12, so a few hours should / could really be negotiated to roundabout a fiver... Possibly A good spend if you have someone local or ask someone ; they might like some pin money for lunches or petrol for the car ...

Mine gets all hyped up in the morning ; it's her mad phase!!!! ; even thou she's two now!!! I find she's all superplayful and full of fun; wants to be involved and eat your socks/jump on you/ get lots of live & attention & gets all upset and sulky if you dont!! If you think about it; they ve been all by themselves all night for maybe 8 or 10 hours & wake up full if fun & affection & want to share it with someone!!!! Plus in your case there's lots of kids and fun and affection going; the dig knows it & wants to be part of the fun!!!! I'd be howling if I was left out!!!! There's some nice suggestions in mixing it up with the little dog being involved too ; might keep trying this!!!! Maybe only one can play with her while the others hurry up & change etc... Carrot & bribe kinda approach!!! Isn't it lovely that they re so mad about her : )

Not sure where you re based?

Best of luck!!

Agreed, but the issue is that the dog isnt getting enough stimulation & is howling

The dog is howling when he puts him out in the morning. We said to bring him back into the house, but he says that distracts the children and also that he cant have him in the house when they are having dinner, so i suggested a crate for these times.

I put him in crate this morning and he was ok. So thats mornings sorted :) the problem is if he is on his own for even 10 min he howls. He has loads of toys has a toy like a kong a cheap version he seems to empty it fast maybe i will get a kong see if its better. He is walked twice a day and brought to the dog park 2 or 3 times a week.

I tried him in the crate today when i went to work, i was only in for 2 hours so thought it would be good day to try. I asked nextdoor she said he howled all day again, he started about 10 min after i left. He stoped as soon as i came home.

I know huskie breeds are hard work but surely i should be able to leave him alone for short periods. Would putting him out the back for 5 min and only letting him in when he sttops help then slowly make it longer?

Advertisement