Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about condition of pups on ad, done deal

Options
  • 14-11-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

myself and my partner are hoping to a 2nd dog(we currently have a golden retriever, as well as a rehomed cat!!)
    while searching online, on done deal, we came across this ad

To both of us the pups dont look like they are being kept in good conditions at all.
    So my partner contacted both the ispca and done deal.
    The ispca got back to say they would contact the local officer in louth.
    Done deal said they didnt think the dogs were being kept in bad conditions and maybe they had been out hunting!! I dont think they would be hunting that young!!!
    am we wrong to think this and if not is there anywhere else we can go to alert people to this...
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

OP, you will not be allowed to post links up here if you have any concern about the puppy's you need to contact the local ISPCA, complain to done deal. Most importantly please dont buy puppies from web site's like this.

They do look in an awful state tbh, I complaned aswell to both so hopefully ISPCA will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

My brother bred Golden Retrievers before and that is not the condition you keep pure breds in, in fact that is not the condition you keep any animal in. The look soaked to the bone, poor divels. If I had the money I would love to buy all of them just to get them out of there. Hopefully the ispca will do something about it. Donedeal obviously don't care, they got the money they wanted for the ad and they are happy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

RubyGirl wrote: »
    OP, you will not be allowed to post links up here if you have any concern about the puppy's you need to contact the local ISPCA, complain to done deal. Most importantly please dont buy puppies from web site's like this.

They do look in an awful state tbh, I complaned aswell to both so hopefully ISPCA will look into it.

Apologies, didnt realise I couldnt post up links

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Unfortunately some members of the hunting fraternity think nothing of keeping working dogs in this condition. As far as they're concerned they are tools of the trade and not really pets

I have 2 Irish setters from the field side of the breed and when we were looking for our original dog (our second was a rescue) it was very very hard to find a decent breeder that really looked after their dogs in a manner that was acceptable to us.

OP this thread will soon be closed or modified due to forum rules on posting links to "that site". Please please if you want an english setter have a look in some rescues, Drogheda Animal rescue had a 3 yr old English setter, Cavan SPCA had a female english setter, they are being overbred by back yard breeders in this country for hunting and buying a pup from the majority of ads on done deal is just feeding the problem.

Unfortunately some members of the hunting fraternity think nothing of keeping working dogs in this condition. As far as they're concerned they are tools of the trade and not really pets

I have 2 Irish setters from the field side of the breed and when we were looking for our original dog (our second was a rescue) it was very very hard to find a decent breeder that really looked after their dogs in a manner that was acceptable to us.

OP this thread will soon be closed or modified due to forum rules on posting links to "that site". Please please if you want an english setter have a look in some rescues, Drogheda Animal rescue had a 3 yr old English setter, Cavan SPCA had a female english setter, they are being overbred by back yard breeders in this country for hunting and buying a pup from the majority of ads on done deal is just feeding the problem.

We are looking to get a rescue dog or as a lot of people are moving abroad due to work there are some people looking for good homes for their dogs. Its a retriever we want but when we both saw this ad we felt we had to act.
    We tried dog shelters locally and will keep trying them.
    thank you all for your feedback on this and hopefully the local ispca will be able to do something for the pups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

@swim2 keep trying rescues have you checked out irishanimals.ie they have a list of shelters all over the country on it, some rescues in other counties will home to another part of Ireland some have people they can have home check etc. so if you expand the area you are looking in you're bound to find the right pooch.

I know people that use their dogs to hunt (setters and not that I approve) and the dogs are always shining and in excellent nick. Anything you feel unsure about in any ad should be best avoided.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I think youre being unfair here borderline meath--not every member of the so called "hunting fraternity" treats their dogs in this manner.
    And in my opinion setters are not being overbred by backyard breeders for hunting.
    I know people that use their dogs to hunt (setters and not that I approve) and the dogs are always shining and in excellent nick. .

Likewise--some of the dogs I know are in top condition and extremely well looked after.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I think youre being unfair here borderline meath--not every member of the so called "hunting fraternity" treats their dogs in this manner.
    And in my opinion setters are not being overbred by backyard breeders for hunting.

Likewise--some of the dogs I know are in top condition and extremely well looked after.

Thats why I said some members. I live in the country and am surrounded by the local gun club lands and meet many a hunter and their dogs on my walks. Most are fine, some others are not, most have springers, a few have setters and the odd retriever.

I am another that has an unhealthy interest in viewing that site and in particular setters. There are so so many ads with hunting dogs being rehomed due to various excuses and lots of litters (and setters have large litters) of engish and irish setters that are bred for the hunting fraternity that aren't registered and are sold on their hunting parentage alone.

Currently on that site there are 11 pages of setters - a mix of pups, juvenile hunting dogs, the odd stud and one "free to good home, 15 months old, lovely dog, needing gone ASAP" to me that reads, bought for hunting, doesn't work well, useless to me, get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thats why I said some members. I live in the country and am surrounded by the local gun club lands and meet many a hunter and their dogs on my walks. Most are fine, some others are not, most have springers, a few have setters and the odd retriever.

You forgot to say some members of the showing fraternity, some members of the pet owning fraternity, most back yard breeders and all puppy mills ;)
    I am another that has an unhealthy interest in viewing that site and in particular setters. There are so so many ads with hunting dogs being rehomed due to various excuses and lots of litters (and setters have large litters) of engish and irish setters that are bred for the hunting fraternity that aren't registered and are sold on their hunting parentage alone.

I think you might be unaware that most of these dogs actually are not from parents that have ever been used for hunting, they are not one of the breeds commonly kept as pets so people try to off load them by declaring they are 'great hunting dogs' as a selling point as they are unable to off-load them or think they can ask for more money. 'Most' are advertised as suitable for hunting, which probably means that 'some' of those are. Surely you should know to take anything advertised in these classifieds with a pinch of salt.
    Currently on that site there are 11 pages of setters - a mix of pups, juvenile hunting dogs, the odd stud and one "free to good home, 15 months old, lovely dog, needing gone ASAP" to me that reads, bought for hunting, doesn't work well, useless to me, get rid.

That's purely speculation to be fair, how could you possibly know that? :confused: It could well mean - 'I bought a high energy breed as a pet because I'm an idiot, the kids thought it was cute and I wanted a real dog because I'm a man. now I can't be bothered providing it with enough exercise because I don't want to get up off my lazy ass so its trying to eat its way out of the garden!

The ad seems to be taken down this morning.
    hopefully the poor pups will be rescued from those conditions and rehomed.
    we will keep looking on rescue sites for a rescue golden and thanks to everyone for their advice on where to look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

: It could well mean - 'I bought a high energy breed as a pet because I'm an idiot, the kids thought it was cute and I wanted a real dog because I'm a man. now I can't be bothered providing it with enough exercise because I don't want to get up off my lazy ass so its trying to eat its way out of the garden!

In the intrest of gender equality ;) it could also mean I bought a high energy breed as a pet because I'm an idiot, the kids thought it was cute and I wanted a dog that looked like the one out of marley and me because I'm a woman and it was such a sad movie but the dog was sooo cute.Now I can't be bothered providing it with enough exercise because I don't want to get my clothes dirty and it keeps jumping up and barking at me!

You forgot to say some members of the showing fraternity, some members of the pet owning fraternity, most back yard breeders and all puppy mills ;)

True!! I just happen to meet a good few hunters on my walks as I walk through gun club lands 5 days a week, only at the weekend I go to the beach and meet pet dogs.
    I think you might be unaware that most of these dogs actually are not from parents that have ever been used for hunting, they are not one of the breeds commonly kept as pets so people try to off load them by declaring they are 'great hunting dogs' as a selling point as they are unable to off-load them or think they can ask for more money. 'Most' are advertised as suitable for hunting, which probably means that 'some' of those are. Surely you should know to take anything advertised in these classifieds with a pinch of salt.

I know they're not overly common, which is why it sickens me that there's 11 pages of them on DD. I've only ever read one ad that was anything close to what a decent breeder should be. Far from taking the ads with a pinch of salt - some of them really upset me. A friend of mine just rescued an 8yr old setter from a "hunter" who advertised him for stud. He wanted paying but she got to take him for free as he was "useless". He was terrified, a bag of bones and kept in a dirty pen. She already has a male so couldn't keep him but transported him to setter rescue in the North.
    That's purely speculation to be fair, how could you possibly know that? :confused: It could well mean - 'I bought a high energy breed as a pet because I'm an idiot, the kids thought it was cute and I wanted a real dog because I'm a man. now I can't be bothered providing it with enough exercise because I don't want to get up off my lazy ass so its trying to eat its way out of the garden!

True, it could be a dog bought as a pet, or it could be a hunting dog that was no good. Who knows, but either way the dog is unwanted and not in a good home. With the ads that show photos, it's easier to read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You don't have to take the ads with a pinch of salt, just the claims made in them ;)

You should try to get around some of the local agriculture shows and gun-dog events when they start up again. I've seen some lovely working setters and springers around some of them here (as well some not so pretty sights), one fella had four red setters with him, positively shinning and all walking perfectly to heal off-lead - and there was me with my terrier dancing around on the end of a lead *sigh*. Anyway - go looking for good as well as the bad instead of fixating on classified sites where you only likely to find the dredges of society, much healthier for you, and that's enough of the off-topic contributions on my part!

Advertisement