Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax / Insurance during a conversion

Options
  • 14-11-2011 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I've just started a Campervan conversion in a VW Transporter panel van. At the moment its commercially taxed and commercially insured.

I have it insulated & floored, storage compartments, fridge and cooker are fitted.

No extra windows, or seat/bed/table in yet and it will be awhile before I can afford them!

So here's the question, from the exterior this doesn't look like a camper, the major modification of bed and windows are yet to be completed...is it ok to keep using the vehicle while its taxed & insured commercially at this stage? (I will be paying VRT on completion).

Just wondering how people get around this, its not yet a campervan, but its getting there..... am I over worrying!!?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I left mine as commercial while i was doing it .
    At least for 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donkeykonky

I'm having a similar problem myself. Insurance is no problem with Dolmen Insurance. They said they'd insure me no worries. But the problem I'm having is taxing the van. I can't get the van taxed as a camper without having an engineers report and a SQI report done. To get these I have to drive to various garages.
    Yet I can't legally drive anywhere without Road tax. I asked a guard in my local station this and he said that its illegal to drive without tax and I'd probably be done if caught..
    Suppose I'l just have to chance it.
    I asked in the Vehicle Tax office if I could tax it as a van and they said no because my insurance would say its a camper. Also because there is living/cooking faclities in the van It cannot be deemed a Van for tax puropses.
    Is there ever anything easy in this country. All I want to do is pay Tax.. Farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I'm having a similar problem myself. Insurance is no problem with Dolmen Insurance. They said they'd insure me no worries. But the problem I'm having is taxing the van. I can't get the van taxed as a camper without having an engineers report and a SQI report done. To get these I have to drive to various garages.
    Yet I can't legally drive anywhere without Road tax. I asked a guard in my local station this and he said that its illegal to drive without tax and I'd probably be done if caught..
    Suppose I'l just have to chance it.
    I asked in the Vehicle Tax office if I could tax it as a van and they said no because my insurance would say its a camper. Also because there is living/cooking faclities in the van It cannot be deemed a Van for tax puropses.
    Is there ever anything easy in this country. All I want to do is pay Tax.. Farcical

As far as driving to a garage is concerned, I've always understood that providing that you are taking the accepted direct route from your home/place where the vehicle is usually kept, to a garage AND you have an appointment for the test/replacing worn tyre or whatever it would not be illegal. I was stopped, many years ago, in the U.K. with ablown, and I do mean blown, exhaust but as I ahd an appointment there was no problem. I was pleased I wasn't stopped the night before when the exhaust actually went and I drove about 14 miles home waking up the whole world:).

Advertisement