Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering my Dog Barney

Options
  • 14-11-2011 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi
    I am moving with my family to Arizona for a year and I am looking for someone to foster him while we are gone. He's a nine year old lab crossed with a greyhound? Medium & Skinny.

I dont have any family in a position to take him and none of my friends will commit to taking him on. I was wondering if anyone on here would have advice for me.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thats a very very tough one dulux - TBH its very hard these days to find Short Term fosters never mind a Fosterer for 12mths! ! Its a big commitment for somone to take a dog in on a temporary basis for 12mths, - also if you did find someone & 2 months down the road they wanted the dog gone what would you do???

This probably isn't what you want to hear but you may have to consider rehoming the dog. When are you moving to Arizona??
    dulux wrote: »
    Hi
    I am moving with my family to Arizona for a year and I am looking for someone to foster him while we are gone. He's a nine year old lab crossed with a greyhound? Medium & Skinny.

I dont have any family in a position to take him and none of my friends will commit to taking him on. I was wondering if anyone on here would have advice for me.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's not possible to take him with you, no?
    Usually that would be best, next to re-homing him, because a lot of people won't want to be held responsible for a dog for a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That is a tough one, perhaps contact a few different but good kennels and see if they could take him on for a discount as it's long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westkryveggirl

hi,

unless you are willing to rehome the dog (and can find a rescue that is willing to take it on), taking the dog with you might be your best option.

if you want to take the dog with you, i have flown both to and from the states with my dog (boxer) on aer lingus and had found them very good to deal with. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the dog back INTO ireland, even though she had a valid passport and i had all her paperwork sorted, but aerlingus was very good. Ive heard from other americans that they are now relaxing the restrictions for coming back into the country and that it is much cheaper and easier than it used to be. I think they only fly into boston or new york with dogs though. you'd have to check what the current regs are as this was a few years back.

going over to the states was quite easy and cheap, coming back was way expensive and way more of a hassle because the dog had to go through the cargo area of the airport as mainfested freight, and they charged by weight and volume of the crate instead of just an extra piece of luggage as on the way over. then there were other procedures (courier to vet etc) once we arrived in dublin. however, ive been told these restrictions have been relaxed somewhat currently or in the near future, so might be a lot easier to come back now

i think delta also does (or did) handle dogs between the states and ireland.

i had no qualms about the dog flying with aer lingus, its a short enough flight from shannon to boston, and she was fine. the captain told me she would just go to sleep as its dark where she would be. i also didnt drug her as i was advised not to because sometimes it interferes with their ability to regulate their body temperature. of course then you woudl have to get to arizona but theres US airlines that regularly handle dogs.

just providing the info in case its useful!

k

Advertisement