Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any alternative to christmas cake/puddings?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Ok so I will admit it, myself and most of our family don't like christmas cake or pudding...

*waits for the wrath of santa and co*

I'd like some ideas for something else to make, anyone any ideas, no dried fruit!

I currently make a kind of trifle with tinned peaches & pears ammaretto (sp?) and strawberries & rasberries.
    I puree them and pour over madeira sponge slices, so I get layers of red and yellow with a cream topping.

The family love it!
    But looking for something new.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

I always make 2 baileys cheesecakes at Christmas. One for Christmas at my dads house and one for Christmas at my mams house.

In the base i put in the regular digestives, but I also crush up malteasers and put them in there and just chop some up a tiny bit and put them in there too.

For the cheese part I don't use gelatine because I hate the taste of it. I use a very generous amount of baileys and also put in a grated dairy milk.

It is a very rich cake and you only need a small bit... Meaning it lasts a couple of days!! It sounds so good I think I might make one tonight!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You're not alone, only my mother likes Christmas pudding (I don't mind a tiny bit).
    My dad, mother & I like a bit of Christmas cake, siblings don't like it at all.

Usually we just have meringue & fruit & cream/icecream, apple tart & cream/icecream. Something light after a heavy Christmas dinner is probably best, maybe something like a lemon meringue pie or maybe profiteroles? I'm sure there are loads of better suggestions to be had by others lol, my brain is on a go-slow today.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

bread & butter pudding!!

yum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks for suggestions, keep them coming.

Our christmas dinner goes on from lunchtime to about 6 pm. We start with a starter (butternut squash and roast chestnut soup this year), then have a rest for about an hour while last prep on dinner is done and clean up, then the main course which can take over an hour with all the chatting and wine, then we watch a movie and have dessert after that.

So we can take a heavy dessert, golden syrup pudding is a family fav but not for christmas.
    Cheesecake sounds nice. But keep them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

Chocoalte biscuit cake! really easy to make, delish and keeps for ages! Easy to decorate aswell! Dont no anybody who doesnt love it once they've had some!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I have a recipe somewhere for a Chocolate & Orange log type dessert - kind of like a Marquise.

For a recent wedding I made a Chocolate Mud Cake, glazed with an apricot & brandy reduction, covered with a dark chocolate ganache, surrounded by a dark chocolate collar and topped with fresh raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and redcurrants and gold-brushed chocolate leaves.

It was served with cream and coulis.
    It looks great as a centrepiece for a special occasion.

You could try Black Forest Trifle - impossible to resist robbing it from the fridge by the spoonful.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

My mother recently made a coca cola cake for my sons birthday and it was absolutely delicious. Its a chocolate cake but has coca cola in the cake and frosting. You can find loads of recipes for it online:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Just wondering how this sounds a baileys/choc cheesecake using a chocolate kimberley as a base? Its something I keep meaning to try as I love choc kimberleys, I was thinking of using individual ramekins/bowls putting kimberley in the bottom and adding a cheese cake mix but I am afraid it may turn out rank and ruin my fantasies any thoughts?

• Advertisement

The kimberly base for a cheesecake sounds lovely, but not sure about baileys, think i'd go for choc and orange (just a hint) as orange and ginger go well.

Try it and see, whats the worst that can happen?
    You have to eat it all yourself?:p

I have a recipe for a good chocolate cake (not quiet mudcake but delish) may try that with fruit and cream, so many ideas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know this isn't a recipe, but I know Dunnes stores do a frosted Christmas cake, which is actually sponge inside, not fruit. Yum! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

clashburke wrote: »
    bread & butter pudding!!

yum:D

Any suggestions on how to make an extremely yummy B&B pudding? :D

Any time I make it at home, with just the bread, butter and milk, it's nothing overwhelming! I don't put sultanas/currants in because I hate them (hence I don't eat Christmas cake or pudding either :pac: I'm too fussy!!)

I didn't think it'd be any nice without the sultanas/currants.. :confused:

Posy wrote: »
    I didn't think it'd be any nice without the sultanas/currants.. :confused:

Probably wouldn't be if you didn't replace them with something.
    I was sure there was a chocolate bread & butter pudding, and indeed there is!
    Delias recipe (never made it so can't say whether tis nice or not)

I've never eaten bread and butter pudding because I don't eat sultanas or currants, but this news that there's a chocolate one changes things, hmmm..

My mother recently made a coca cola cake for my sons birthday and it was absolutely delicious. Its a chocolate cake but has coca cola in the cake and frosting. You can find loads of recipes for it online:)

Eeep! I haven't made that in ages! Thanks for the reminder - going to try it with Cherry Coke.:D

*puts on pinny*

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I saw this swiss roll and ice-cream dessert on a bbc show. I'm definitely trying it this xmas as I'm also not a big fan of rich fruit cakes.

DSC03188.JPG

Here's the recipe:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/winter_swiss_roll_bowl_27318

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Yupik wrote: »

Any time I make it at home, with just the bread, butter and milk, it's nothing overwhelming! I don't put sultanas/currants in because I hate them (hence I don't eat Christmas cake or pudding either :pac: I'm too fussy!!)

use cream in stead of milk and choclate chips with lots of sugar:)

Staph wrote: »
    I saw this swiss roll and ice-cream dessert on a bbc show. I'm definitely trying it this xmas as I'm also not a big fan of rich fruit cakes.

Looks good! on the same level there's always Baked Alaska too, which is yummy, but must be all eaten! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Baileys Cheesecake with white chocolate or Chocolate Yule Log with plenty of fresh cream or Meringue roulade - you could certainly lace it with alcohol too :D
    My favourite is Home make Black Forest Gateaux, dark and lush and chrismassy
    Here's my recipe http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67162688&postcount=3 You can use even more kirsch if you like!

Star pants you are wonderful!!
    I love the look of the Chocolate B&B pudding, will do a test run in the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.;)

Couple of others I may try, we always have a big meal on New years day too, and my dad, brother and daughter's birthdays are all the first week or 10 days of january, so yummy times ahead!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Grindylow wrote: »

James Martin did one a few years back on Saturday Kitchen, vanilla custard made from scratch, brioche bread, mince meat, have made it a few times at christmas and my OH prefers it over christmas cake/pudding!

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/596877 not the james martin version but pratically the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I made Nigella's Chocolate Pudding with Hot Chocolate Sauce, devine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1094188/Chocolate-pudding-Christmas-pudding-haters.html

Advertisement