Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Insurance Float

Options
  • 14-11-2011 12:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi - I had this up on the investment thread but since I did not receive a single reply I thought I'd try on this insurance thread:

I am interested in researching insurance companies for investment purposes and have a question regarding float. I realise that it is an estimated figure but I'd like to get a grip on how to calculate it and how to calculate the cost & return of/on float.

Could someone knowledgable about the insurance sector please show me how to calculate float, cost of float and return on float using the 2010 Munich Re annual report:

http://www.munichre.com/publications/302-06773_en.pdf

I have made an attempt at calculating float as follows:

Unearned Premiums ( Reference C I on liability side of B/S ) = € 7,879

Plus

Provisions ( Reference C I & II under liabilities ) = € 104,413 + € 49,501 = € 153,914

Plus

Other Technical Provisions ( Reference C IV ) = € 9,555 ( not sure if I should include this line )

Total = € 171,348

Less

Net Deferred Acquisition Costs ( Reference G on asset side ) = € 9,093

Less

Deferred Tax Assets ( Reference H ) = € 5,959

Total = € 15,052

Therefore Float = € 171,348 less € 15,052 = € 156,296

Would you agree with this figure or what else would you add or subtract ?

I appreciate all replies.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't cross post :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement