Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT223 Nut&Dietics - More Info?

Options
  • 13-11-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

Basically I was considering applying for this course next year, just was looking for anyone who is currently in the course to ask them a few Q's...
    • Just wondering, how many hours on avg would you have a week?
    • And is it split evenly between TCD and DIT? (TCD is easier for me to get into, DITs a bit off the beaten track... :3
    • And in relation to career, there aint much about it on the internet. What kinda salary would you be expecting?

Thanks for your time guys, It'd mean a lot for a few replies!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

dsct92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Basically I was considering applying for this course next year, just was looking for anyone who is currently in the course to ask them a few Q's...
    • Just wondering, how many hours on avg would you have a week?
    • And is it split evenly between TCD and DIT? (TCD is easier for me to get into, DITs a bit off the beaten track... :3
    • And in relation to career, there aint much about it on the internet. What kinda salary would you be expecting?
    Thanks for your time guys, It'd mean a lot for a few replies!:D

I'm not on the course but I know it kinda well.
    I think hours would be 25-30ish per week.
    DIT and TCD are pretty much in the same place, town :D. Like you're talking 20 or 30 min walks or less on the bus.
    Career; you could be a dietician or pursue further education like a phd when you're done. You'd also be qualified for lab / research work. Salaries could vary greatly no matter what you do so it's hard to say. Hazard a guess at a starting salary of ~30k maybe.. ~20k to do a phd but the possibility of greater earning potential later on..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dsct92

Thanks for that, if im goin for it better get used to walkin :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

looking at web timetables there seems to be only a couple of hours a week in first and second year in DIT (DIT Kevin street).

I assume the rest of your course is in TCD which is probably a 15 minute walk from DIT kevin street.

Don't have a clue how many hours a week the course is.

One thing that would turn me off it is that DIT webtimetables only has the DIT subjects so you probably have to use different students services in each college. Blackboard in DIT for communication with lecturers, webct/meebo in tcd. dit.ie email and tcd mymail as well.

It just makes the whole thing harder imo

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hey,
    I'm in third year in dietetics at the mo.:)
    Hours are pretty much 9 to 5.
    All lectures are in dit kevin street for first and second year.
    In third year we have a three hour lecture on th trinity campus in James' Hospital, two hours on the main trinity campus, three hours cooking class in cathal brugha street and the rest are in kevin street. Kevin street is only about a 10 minute walk from trinity.
    Career wise you can work in hospital, you can have your own practice, you could go work for different food companys,you could go work for sports teams...loads of different options!
    If you go on the tcd website you can download their prospectus and it gives a good overview of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 id.tweet.that

Hey,
    I'm in third year in dietetics at the mo.:)
    Hours are pretty much 9 to 5.
    All lectures are in dit kevin street for first and second year.
    In third year we have a three hour lecture on th trinity campus in James' Hospital, two hours on the main trinity campus, three hours cooking class in cathal brugha street and the rest are in kevin street. Kevin street is only about a 10 minute walk from trinity.
    Career wise you can work in hospital, you can have your own practice, you could go work for different food companys,you could go work for sports teams...loads of different options!
    If you go on the tcd website you can download their prospectus and it gives a good overview of the course.

Ive been considering this course! I really really dislike chemistry (in 5th year by the way!) but Home ec is my favourite suject! Do you think its suitable for me? Like is there much chemistry?

Also you said 1st and 2nd year lectures are in DIT, so accomadation wise, would you be in trinity halls or DIT campus?(not sure what its called)

Im really interested in doing this course, so id love any extra info because I know nobody else doing it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement