Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on these Mushrooms

Options
  • 13-11-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

I was out walking the dog today and came across these mushrooms. They were huge, I have never seen mushrooms so big. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about what type they are etc. and if they are edible. Thanks.

91b99279.jpg

3031c93c.jpg

f7d5c848.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I **think** these may be Parasol Mushrooms (Macrolepiota procera), which is one of the larger Irish species. However, I only have very basic knowledge of Mycology.

Regarding edibility, the proviso I have often heard is that unless you yourself are 100% certain of the ID, then you shouldn't be picking them for later consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks V Moth. I wouldn't chance eating something I wasn't 100% sure of but if they were editable it would be a shame to let them go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

According to my 'Collins Complete Irish Wildlife' Parasol mushrooms are edible and good. The picture and description also seem to fit with what you have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 franb7111

They also look a bit like the deadly "panther cap", i would not risk eating them until you were sure,it is usually recommended that you use three independant identification sources. A hand axiom if you are not sure is "if its got gills forget it".

Advertisement