Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy questions: grass and stones

Options
  • 13-11-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

hi all.

got a new puppy, a golden retriever. he has been great for the few days he has been home and is wonderful little pup.

the only worrying thing has been that anytime i let him out he eats the grass, moss, leaves and also he finds every little stone and tries to fat them too.

i am just starting to switch him from the co-op food the breeder had him on to hills science plan puppy.

is he missing something from his diet.?

thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hills isn't the best tbh and will more than likely have him hyper and bouncing off the walls - there's a lot of much better foods out there - Burns, James Wellbeloved, Whites, Orijen etc etc

As for eating everything in sight - this is normal puppy behaviour!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

My 6 month old dog is still eating stones! I noticed when I was picking up her poo on walks that there were loads of small stones - dont seem to harm her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

tk123 wrote: »
    Hills isn't the best tbh and will more than likely have him hyper and bouncing off the walls - there's a lot of much better foods out there - Burns, James Wellbeloved, Whites, Orijen etc etc

As for eating everything in sight - this is normal puppy behaviour!! :D

really? i checked a few sites and even a on here some threads had hills in their top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hills is awful!! Makes my dog break out in Hot Spots and ive heard many others with the same thing happening with this food so i would avoid it if i were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya hills isn't great for the price, try burns or I have heard great things about whites and only €40 for 15kg. Royal canine has a great name but I can't figure out why. My dogs were completely hyper on it. Not fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'd leave the puppy on the food the breeder was feeding for a month or so till he settles in and you get to know him etc. Changing food can cause problems in itself (constipation, diarrhoea etc) There is no way you could tell if a new food suited the pup for at least 6 weeks as it takes that long to fully adjust to it. I have to warn you, you may have to try a number of different foods out properly before you find one that suits. My pup did fine on Hills for a while but then got colitis and hotspots very suddenly after having already eaten about 3 bags of the stuff with no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I'm getting a puppy in 2 weeks and the breeders food is bestformydog I am going to keep her on it for a while and then after a few months Change to other food or is that a good adult food too??? Its for an Akita. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

That food is fine, no need to change at all. Leave the pup on puppy until its a year old and then you can change onto a junior or adult food.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Ya hills isn't great for the price, try burns or I have heard great things about whites and only €40 for 15kg. Royal canine has a great name but I can't figure out why. My dogs were completely hyper on it. Not fun!

Thanks for all the advice. I had a look at whites and it looks good alright. Will use up the rest of the food the breeder gave and try and switch him onto whites.

Thing with the breeders food is I have no idea how good or bad it is because they just gave me a plastic carton with some in it. Co-op food boutgh in bulk.

Gosh you think your all prepared and then you get the pup and its like the preparation goes out the window. :o

Couple of pics.

th_2011-11-13213931.jpg

th_2011-11-13213921.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A cuuuuuute!!! Just like my fella when he was a baba :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

jo06555 wrote: »
    I'm getting a puppy in 2 weeks and the breeders food is bestformydog I am going to keep her on it for a while and then after a few months Change to other food or is that a good adult food too??? Its for an Akita. ?

Just on the food for the akita, best to put her on the puppy food the breeder has her on until she is about 16months, then switch her onto an adult food with about 22-24% protein and between 10/12% fat. Its a good food so I'd stick with it and see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Shanao wrote: »
    jo06555 wrote: »

Just on the food for the akita, best to put her on the puppy food the breeder has her on until she is about 16months, then switch her onto an adult food with about 22-24% protein and between 10/12% fat. Its a good food so I'd stick with it and see how she goes.

OK I'll stick with that food thanks, Plus is their other extras that can be given in meals for their coat ect?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I give my guy a bit of salmon oil or sardines now and again, but only when he's coming in to shed to give a bit of a boost. Otherwise there's no need

Advertisement