Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german

Options
  • 13-11-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

anyone know how hard 3rd level german is?im currently doing leaving cert german,im average enough at german,good enough to meet the c1 needed to do german in college,but i want to know do i need to be very good at leaving cert to do it really?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I didn't find it very hard, to be honest.

First and second year 'advanced' German started at level A2 before going up to C1 in final year when we had to write an extended essay (5,000 words). First year and second year felt like honour LC continued but with a slightly stronger focus on grammar and pronunciation.

While it wasn't especially difficult, there was a lot of work: essays, translations (English to German - that bit harder!), grammar exercises but if you're already on track to getting at least a C1, you should be fine. Feel free to approach the department in the college you're hoping to attend. They tend to be small and friendly in this regard. I know NUIG has (or at least used to have) an open day for perspective German students to give them a good idea of what studying a language at third level entails. I found it very useful. They make a lot of use of technology now as well.

I'd highly recommend it - so many social and travel opportunities when you study a language at third level as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cmalone922

thanks...so much opportunities with it,14 jobs advertised today in cork requiring german...im also fascinated by d country and wish to visit or possibly do my 3rd yr of college there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I got a C1 in German in the leaving cert, now in my final year of economics, finance and german at UL, you'll be grand, it takes a bit of work at the start but once you get into the swing of things your german will be very good in no time.
    Especially if you go on erasmus (I spent a year in austria) and coop/internship which I did in Munich. So go for it.

Advertisement