Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agility in Mullingar

Options
  • 13-11-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Anyone know of agility classes in Mullingar? Our 7 month collie/spaniel cross is full of energy and am thinking of introducing her to agility. However, have no car so needs to be somewhere we can walk to.

Recommendations for dog training places would be great too. She is getting the basics at the moment but it'd be great to have some extra help.

Pictures of her in action: https://plus.google.com/photos/115349745264626326695/albums/5661093334899612097

We've been told that dogs can start to learn agility from 6 months on, but others say a year old. Is she too young?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I was told it depends on the breed, but for a collie I would leave it until after 12 months at least.

You can try training at home, obedience that is, this is needed before you start agility.

She may need some mental stimulation too, that can tire them almost as much as physical exercise, have you tried Kongs? I have a friend who does a trail of dog nuts around their garden (large garden) for the dogs breakfast, the dog goes nuts running around trying to find it all:D
    You can get balls that you put the food in and they have to roll them around to get the food out.

Best of luck, hope you find some classes.

Edited to add, the trail of food involves hiding a bit under upturned flower pots, frisbee, in the kids toy tractor trailer, etc, some on the windowsill and line of food along the patio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The only place I know - and the nearest to Mullingar - but not in walking distance:

www.k9trainingservices.com

Based in Raharney - agility and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fence_

Thanks.

She has a kong, three in fact :) which she needs now that we are both working again (any suggestions for dog walkers?). Think we'll leave the agility for a few months so, better in the spring anyway rather than the winter.

She also has a couple of brain games, which we play with her occasionally. She picks things up very quickly.

Obedience we are working on continually. She's pretty good, after all she is still only 7 months. Sit, lie down, go to your mat, she has all that, and her recall, while not 100% is getting there. Only thing we really want to work on is her excitability, she can go totally hyper on occasion and runs around like a loon rather than coming when called.

Advertisement