Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working on Oil Rig

Options
  • 13-11-2011 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,just looking for advice from people who have experience working in the Oil and Gas Industries,Im a fully qualified Electrician with alot of experience working on Industrial installations and will be heading to Donegal soon to attend a training course for the following BOSIET,MIST,Rigger and Banksman Certification.After this i will be heading to Aberdeen for Compex Certification.My question is: Will my skills as a general Electrician help get me on to a rig or do i need more training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

You looking for offshore work or specifically rig work?

If electrical background so why doing riggers certs?

Good to see a fresh thread on this as much of what was said on an old similar thread (here a few weeks ago) about shortage of work, while was true 18 months ago is not true now.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jasonglynn

323 wrote: »
    You looking for offshore work or specifically rig work?

If electrical background so why doing riggers certs?

Good to see a fresh thread on this as much of what was said on an old similar thread (here a few weeks ago) about shortage of work, while was true 18 months ago is not true now.

Thanks for the reply, that is the content for the entire course I am more interested in the BOSIET and MIST as you need them to get on the Rigs bit I see the other modules as extras. My aim tough is to work as an Electrician.

Your OP said the Oil and Gas Industries, any reason why you are limiting yourself to focusing on rigs?
    May but some places available on platforms but very limited, better as far as mobile drill rigs go.

But would really recommend you look the offshore construction industry, a lot more opportunities and better paid. Though slow last year the industry is now very busy and will be for at least the next few years, appears like everyone is hiring.

With offshore wind, the subsea cable business is also busy and will be for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jasonglynn

Your OP said the Oil and Gas Industries, any reason why you are limiting yourself to focusing on rigs?
    May but some places available on platforms but very limited, better as far as mobile drill rigs go.

But would really recommend you look the offshore construction industry, a lot more opportunities and better paid. Though slow last year the industry is now very busy and will be for at least the next few years, appears like everyone is hiring.

With offshore wind, the subsea cable business is also busy and will be for many years.
    Would "Off Shore Construction" mostly be within the Oil & Gas Industries?

Sorry if long but present unemployment in Ireland, want to point out that presently lots of work oppertunities here, though accept it may not be for everone.
    jasonglynn wrote: »
    Would "Off Shore Construction" mostly be within the Oil & Gas Industries?

Honestly was not going to answer that, but where do I start?

Yes, Offshore construction acivities are mostly, but not limited to Oil & Gas industry, more recently the Offshore Wind/renewables business.

OK, did a brief search on the net and very surprised how little turned up so very simply,

Covers the installation of structures and facilities in marine/offshore environments, Jackets(Steel Platforms), various seabed structures, Deepwater floating platforms/production facilities (TLP's/SPAR's/FPSO's).
    All basically has to be connected up so
    Installation of mooring systems.
    Laying and burial/trenching of rigid & flexible pipelines, umbilicals & cables used for the production and transmission of electricity, oil, gas and control.

For all this, a wide range of vessels used. Do an image search on Google for "Offshore Construction vessels barges" and you'll start to get the picture.

Cranes, pipelay systems, cable lay systems, winches, ROV's & Trenching systems - All electrical/hydraulic, requiring electrical, mechanical, electronics, & instrumentation techs.

Industry is going into a very busy phase. Appears all are recruiting,

Engineering/Technical: mechanical, structural, civil, electrical, electronic, surveyors

Also Riggers, crane drivers etc

PM sent with more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

it's very difficult to get offshore as an electrician without prior experience. I know several people who've splashed out thousands on all the courses but have had no luck.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    it's very difficult to get offshore as an electrician without prior experience. I know several people who've splashed out thousands on all the courses but have had no luck.

This may have been true last year and the year before, but everything I am hearing in the industry at the moment, would have to disagree.

But have also known folks at home who also did "all the courses" as you say, sent a few CV's, never followed them up, little response and now say the same.

So here is what I have been told to say to anyone interested.

Every CV you send, follow it with a phone call, once, preferably pick two days a week and phone them all, you will get working within a few weeks

Very project based industry, so most companies keep relatively few staff, rest covered by agencies. Fairly large projects can come in at a short notice. You start putting a project team together and that annoying person who keeps phoning is the first person who comes to mind. You've got your first job, downhill from there on

One search for "Offshore electrician starting jobs" brought up pages of jobs,

http://offshoreelectricianjobs.com/Become-an-Electrician-Offshore.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

This may have been true last year and the year before, but everything I am hearing in the industry at the moment, would have to disagree.

But have also known folks at home who also did "all the courses" as you say, sent a few CV's, never followed them up, little response and now say the same.

So here is what I have been told to say to anyone interested.

Every CV you send, follow it with a phone call, once, preferably pick two days a week and phone them all, you will get working within a few weeks

Very project based industry, so most companies keep relatively few staff, rest covered by agencies. Fairly large projects can come in at a short notice. You start putting a project team together and that annoying person who keeps phoning is the first person who comes to mind. You've got your first job, downhill from there on

One search for "Offshore electrician starting jobs" brought up pages of jobs,

http://offshoreelectricianjobs.com/Become-an-Electrician-Offshore.html

Are you currently working offshore or have you previously?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Yes, at work/offshore at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

jasonglynn wrote: »
    Hi there,just looking for advice from people who have experience working in the Oil and Gas Industries,Im a fully qualified Electrician with alot of experience working on Industrial installations and will be heading to Donegal soon to attend a training course for the following BOSIET,MIST,Rigger and Banksman Certification.After this i will be heading to Aberdeen for Compex Certification.My question is: Will my skills as a general Electrician help get me on to a rig or do i need more training?

Id say this post is more of a con into getting people up to Donegal to waste their cash on courses that will offer a very limited chance in gaining employment in the industry, without any onshore experience.

This poster only signed up to promote courses up in Donegal some of which arnt even relative to being an electrician.

I wouldnt advise anybody without prior onshore experience to pay for the BOISET,MIST,RIGGER certs why any electrician would do a Banksman Cert :/

The Compex cert(explosion proof glanding) is one which will definitely add to your skill set and give you a good advantage in obtaining onshore work.

This thread is more relative and less promotional

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055470722&page=8

• Advertisement
Advertisement