Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday pay

Options
  • 12-11-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

hey,

I've worked part time in a well known supermarket for the last 19months.

I'm wondering am I entitled to any holiday pay?

I don't really understand the laws surrounding it tbh. In the 19 months I've been there I've asked for days off on 2 separate occasions. The first time (in july 2011) for 5days the second time in (oct 2010) for 3 days, if that makes any difference?

The reason Im asking is I know someone in the same position as me, working for 19 months part time. albeit, his work is in another area, he recently got €700 holiday pay and he's never asked for days off.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gadhafi wrote: »
    hey,

I've worked part time in a well known supermarket for the last 19months.

I'm wondering am I entitled to any holiday pay?

I don't really understand the laws surrounding it tbh. In the 19 months I've been there I've asked for days off on 2 separate occasions. The first time (in july 2011) for 5days the second time in (oct 2010) for 3 days, if that makes any difference?

The reason Im asking is I know someone in the same position as me, working for 19 months part time. albeit, his work is in another area, he recently got €700 holiday pay and he's never asked for days off.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Did you sign a contract?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gadhafi

yeah, I did.

I don't understand much from the link though

First place to look would be your contract so, it should be in there. Also, have you asked your manager?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    First place to look would be your contract so, it should be in there. Also, have you asked your manager?

Unfortunetly, I don't have a copy of the contract. no I haven't asked him yet, I don't really wanna piss him off, going in looking for money because he decides my hours aswell. Id rather be sure im entitled to it before I mention anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Unfortunetly, I don't have a copy of the contract. no I haven't asked him yet, I don't really wanna piss him off, going in looking for money because he decides my hours aswell. Id rather be sure im entitled to it before I mention anything.

I think at the very least you're entitled to 8% of your hours worked in holiday pay. So for example if you've worked 100 hours at €10 per hour, you're entitled to €80 holiday pay.

I dont have a link as I'm on my phone but I've read about it in the past several times

• Advertisement

I think at the very least you're entitled to 8% of your hours worked in holiday pay. So for example if you've worked 100 hours at €10 per hour, you're entitled to €80 holiday pay.

I dont have a link as I'm on my phone but I've read about it in the past several times

That is correct, you are entitled to one of the below and I think (c) is probably most relevant to the OP.

(a) 4 working weeks in a leave year in which he or she works
    at least 1,365 hours (unless it is a leave year in which he
    or she changes employment),
    (b) one-third of a working week for each month in the leave
    year in which he or she works at least 117 hours, or
    (c) 8 per cent. of the hours he or she works in a leave year (but subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks):

thanks a lot people :)

Advertisement